Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
rough rider

Laminate under slideouts

While shopping around for toy haulers we noticed several brands used laminate under their slideouts citing what a big difference it makes. I noticed the Raptor does not do this and am wondering if anyone has had a problem concerning unlaminated slideouts. When I looked under the slideout of the Raptor it appeared to be just as solid as one with lamination. Wondering if this really makes any difference or if it is just another sales gemic of we have it on xyz brand but they do not have it on their brand? Also heard Raptor get blasted for having lanoliumn in the pass through instead of rubber diamond plate in the pass through. It seems to be a never ending cycle of unimportant comparisons. Any feedback on the slideout would be nice, just trying to find out if this is really as important as other manufacturers try to make it.
rough rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd guess it's pretty much a matter of economics more than "better than"...

Manufacturers have to make a certain percentage profit and they have to buy the materials to construct the RV. How they spend the money matters because what's left over is their profit. They MUST maintain the cost point if they are going to be competitive with other manufacturers products in the same price range. That makes for some very narrow and difficult buying goals for the purchasing department as well as pushing the assembly line to maintain a schedule with no overtime.....

XYZ may choose to cut the cost of the frame and use laminate under the slide while ABC may choose to use rubber sheeting in the pass through which costs more than vinyl and make up the cost by using thinner cushions on the dinette.

The key, I think, is finding the RV that works best for you and has as many of the features you feel are mandatory. Then, add the remaining features to build your "perfect RV".

We all have bought houses with "FHA approved" carpet knowing that the first thing we want to do is upgrade to something better...... RV's are really, nothing more (or less) than a stick built house on wheels, so approaching it with somewhat the same realization that changing, upgrading and rebuilding the parts we don't think are "just right" is as much a part of RV ownership as it is "home ownership".

Every marketing department has their "claim to fame" be it a Polar Pack Plus, an all LED lighting package, a "standard BBQ grill or whatever fits their "must have" list. It's pretty much all a marketing scheme to get you to buy "the best" from them.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
rough rider

Thanks JRT for the reply, I am still trying to figure out if the under side of the slide covering makes that much of a difference. My thought is when traveling the slide is stowed, when camping your sitting static with no road debri being flung up from the road. So the question is does a laminated slide offer better insulation and perhaps durability as some manufacturers claim?
You are certainly correct about making an rv your own by adding your own personal touch. One of those personal touches may be to upgrade the bottom of the slide if it is really beneficial.
rough rider is offline   Reply With Quote