Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
CHIEF MK

Storing my Trailer at home

Hello all, I need some advice being new to Rv's and all.

I finally got my Passport up our narrow rd and have it parked in our driveway. winters are pretty mild up here in Nor-Cal, but it is damp and wet a lot. We don't plan to winterize, because we plan on taking it out several more times. Probably during the winter. Our concern is mold ,mildew and condensation.

I bought a small oscillating space heater to keep the inside warm. I also have a couple of windows just barely cracked open for a little air circulation. I also have all the cupboards open partially.

Are we on the right track here?

Thanks,

Tom and Kim
CHIEF MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Tom & Kim -

Yes, you're on the right track. In addition to leaving the windows slightly open, the ceiling vents should also be left open as well - just enough so that a driving rain can't find its way into the unit.

Some people place a dehumidifier instead of a heater and others use the Dri-Air crystals to absorb moisture from the air. The crystals have to be replaced every so often - depending upon the amount of moisture in the air. Others place a small fan inside to help move the air around.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Also, if you leave a window/roof vent open slightly for ventilation and have a heater going inside, your walls behind the cushions will be cooler than the walls in the remainder of the RV. Condensation can form behind the cushions and cause mold. Pull the cushions away from the wall and pull the mattress away from the wall also just to keep warmer air circulating in those areas and to help keep them dry.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
CHIEF MK

Thanks for that info.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Albert

I probably go a little overboard but better to be safe then sorry. I have a small dehumidifier setup to run two hours in the morning and two in the evening. In addition I have a space heater set to come on at 40 degrees.

I crack open all cabinet doors, and refer doors and pull cushions away from any wall. I also park the RV and truck in a fully enclosed barn. With dehumidifier it keeps it at about 45 percent humidity when it is high 90 percent humidity outside.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
CHIEF MK

Ha Ha, Nothing wrong with that if you can do it. I really like having the TT near my house. It's a bearcat to park, but I manage.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
CHIEF MK

Should I keep the slide in or out? I've seen most with there slide out.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Albert

In my owners manual it states if the slide is out you should retract it every few days. So I just leave my two slides in while storing it in my barn.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Woodsrider

Living on the wet side of Washington State, I'm in the same boat with the moisture. I never thought about the cushions. I'll keep that in mind. I have a space heater in the coach keeping the temp at about 55 with all the cabinets ajar. The low drains are all emptied and I'll be blowing out the water lines before the weather begins to freeze. I intend to spend a good bit of time out there this winter puttering around modifying the things we want to change. I don't intend to use pink in anything but the pea traps.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
CHIEF MK

Puttering around inside the TT during the winter. I love it! That's the kind of guy I am myself. I find it to be relaxing out there. I have a few ideas myself, and also a few improvements that will just make it last longer.

Thanks for the info on the slide. I will probably leave it in, when I'm not out there goofing around. I didn't realize how much a person can get into this recreation. There's a lot to do if you want to keep your RV in good working order.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Some people place a dehumidifier instead of a heater and others use the Dri-Air crystals to absorb moisture from the air. The crystals have to be replaced every so often - depending upon the amount of moisture in the air. Others place a small fan inside to help move the air around.
We have our 5th wheel stored under cover in an open "carport". Plan to leave windows and roof vents cracked for ventilation, and cabinet doors open. Will also keep a small heater on during colder weather.

Recently purchased a Driz-air crystalline dehumidifier. Reading on the Driz-air site, it appears we need to use 3 units - one in the bedroom and two in the kitchen/living area. Does this sound correct? Any guess as to how often they need refilled? I know, it depends on the humidity ( very high on the Oregon coast). Just wondering how much refill crystals to buy.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Albert

By looking at your profile, looks like you have the knowledge and experience to take great care of your RV. Keep us posted on upgrades that you do.

Good luck,
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Suza -
I usually place 3 of the plastic "colander" type Driz-Air containers in our 28' 5th wheel. One in the upper bedroom, one in the living room area and another on the rear kitchen counter. It's difficult to say when to replace the crystals - it really depends on the weather but I usually have a peek at the containers every 2 weeks or so. If the crystals are pretty much "toast", I dump the water, clean out the container and replace with fresh crystals.

I buy them where ever I see them at the cheapest price - usually in bulk. Most hardware or big box stores have them - just keep your eyes open for any bargains.

I've made my own "heaters". The heater consists of a large tin coffee can, a light bulb receptacle, 60W light bulb and a cord&plug. Nowadays, finding incandescent light bulbs can prove difficult but there are some around. I usually place 2 or 3 in the RV to help keep the moisture down and also to provide some "heat". You'd be surprised at how much heat these coffee tin heaters give off. They cost next to nothing and don't consume a lot of electricity/watts.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
suza

Rodents

Living in the country, and despite the fact that our cat is an avid hunter, annoying rodents are everywhere. They especially like to enter our car through the heating vent and nest in the cabin air filter. We try to remember to set the air on recirculate, as this is supposed to block off the entrance, but don't always remember

In preparation for Winter storage of our RV, the plan is to remove all sources of food and anything that might be considered attractive as nesting material to rodents (mice, rats, squirrels, etc).

What measures do you all take to prevent invasions of these pests? Also, for those who have the luxury of an RV carport, how do you deter birds and bats from roosting in the rafters and depositing undesirable "stuff" on the roof.

Please share any successes/failures. I'm sure there are plenty of horror stories, as well.

Thanks
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
FireMech

I'm very nervous about mice in my RV because I have seen what they can do. So far I have found that dryer sheets spread through my 5ver has kept the mice away. The smell deters them quite well, the interior smells nice and it's not poisionous to animals or kids. I buy dryer sheets at Sam's Club/Costco and spread the sheets all over including inside the cupboards, drawers, gen compartment, vents, etc. every 3-4 weeks. By the end of winter I have a trash bag full of dryer sheets. I also put steel wool in areas where the water piping comes through the floor under the sink in the kitchen and bathroom. I have two Ketchall mouse traps located in the kitchen and under the master bedroom storage area just in case.

I park my 5ver in a field behind my house and keep the grass cut short to deter any rodents from nesting near my RV(short grass makes it easier for hawks and other birds to see rodents so they can prey on them).

Good luck-
Old 11-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
suza

Good ideas. I've heard dryer sheets are a good deterrent. Also, Irish Spring bar soap. Has anyone had luck with this?

One fear is that mice will find their way into the underbelly area and live there. They say they only need a hole the size of a dime to gain entrance. Any ideas on this?

Maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily, but we have such a problem with mice, I can't ignore the threat of these blasted critters
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS

Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Woodsrider

Rodents has been a fear of mine as well. So much so that the area I park my TT has never been more tidy. crushed rock, no vegetation, and no leaf debris allowed to rest longer than the work week.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
rayjoanlough

Suza and Woodsrider howdy from SW Washington. I found that the dryer sheet option not very effective. I plugged any "holes" I could find with 00 steelwool. Then I spread oxblood meal around the fifth wheel being sure to circle the tires. I also set traps with p-nut butter and have had good luck with this system.
rayjoanlough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #19
Mark TC

I have a question, on my TT is it ok to take the silver metal tape and seal the underpinning to the frame? The unit is new and everything is clean so the tape should stick well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #20
FireMech

what is oxblood meal?