Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
sponge60

Adding Brake Lights/Turn Signals to TH

I have a 2013 Raptor. I'm a little surprised that it doesn't have upper brake lights and turn signals. The factory ones are at the bottom and in traffic it is difficult to see when we are merging, turning or have to stop unexpectedly. Have any of you folks added an upper level of lights? Was even considering adding a LED strip designed for pickup beds.

2018 Avalanche 301RE
2018 Chevy 3500 HD
Sandy the Pocket Beagle
sponge60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
maxx1963

I added some uppers, no way i could just have the factory lowers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6070.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	4241  

2005 2500HD CCLB Duramax. LBZ mouthpiece, factory CAI mod, Diamond eye "quiet" downpipe back exhaust/ Reese elite under bed rail hitch
2008 Fuzion 362
2008 KFX 700
2007 Yamaha Wolverine(wife's)
2002 Suzuki LT-A50(daughter's)
1995 Yamaha G14 golf cart
maxx1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Trent McCain

I'm surprised they don't require RV's tp have better lighting. I'd like afew down the sides with a turn indicator and the 5 across the front. When I order grain trailers for my company, I spec extra lights down the sides, and the high mount stop and turn lights on the rear. Like you've indicated, when in traffic or in our case dusty country roads, the lower lights can become invisible. One other option is conspicuty (reflective) tape. I added white down the sides of our coach (so it blends in with the white finish) and added red on the rear bumper with the white in the upper corners as our semi trailers are required to have. We sometimes tow the boat in tandem and the rig is plenty long, so I figure anything we can do to make it more visible at night might lessen the chance of an accident. Also the white tape on the side makes it easier to find our rig in a dark campground.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I posted on the forum a couple of years ago about the "poor" lights on almost all RV's (not just Keystone). The Bargman and Peterson lights are barely visible in bright light. When we had our Springdale, my DW was following me to CW to get some work done and she commented that she couldn't see the turn signals or the brake lights. While at CW, I looked at LED options, found the Bargman Taillight #84 LED Surface Mount Red/Red, Black Base # 47-84-610. I didn't buy them from CW as they were about $50 a pair cheaper online. I installed them on the Springdale and it made a world of difference. When we bought the Cougar, before we even took delivery, I ordered LED lights for it. In bright sunlight the LED's are highly visible and I feel much safer knowing that traffic behind me can see my lights. We also have a LED "hitch light" that fits in the hitch when the ball is not installed.

All my lights are "relatively low" on the trailer, but much more visible than the factory "dim lights"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
diugo
Permanent User Ban

It is interesting to note that NHTSA requires the red and white conspicuity tape on all trailers wider than 80 inches AND with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more.

ETA "except trailers designed exclusively for living or office use", according to 49 CFR 571.108. This would seem to exempt most RVs---except perhaps toy haulers, since they aren't exclusively for living? Food for thought...
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
mobile42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I posted on the forum a couple of years ago about the "poor" lights on almost all RV's (not just Keystone). The Bargman and Peterson lights are barely visible in bright light. When we had our Springdale, my DW was following me to CW to get some work done and she commented that she couldn't see the turn signals or the brake lights. While at CW, I looked at LED options, found the Bargman Taillight #84 LED Surface Mount Red/Red, Black Base # 47-84-610. I didn't buy them from CW as they were about $50 a pair cheaper online. I installed them on the Springdale and it made a world of difference. When we bought the Cougar, before we even took delivery, I ordered LED lights for it. In bright sunlight the LED's are highly visible and I feel much safer knowing that traffic behind me can see my lights. We also have a LED "hitch light" that fits in the hitch when the ball is not installed.

All my lights are "relatively low" on the trailer, but much more visible than the factory "dim lights"

Where did you find these cheaper online? And did you buy this pair online for less then $50 back then?
4000 Watt Champion Generator

2007 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS TT
2005 Flagstaff Forest River TT
mobile42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile42 View Post
Where did you find these cheaper online? And did you buy this pair online for less then $50 back then?
When I bought mine, CW's price was $68 each. I found them online for $44 each at ETrailer.com. Currently they are about $62 each at that site. You may find them cheaper at another website.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
mobile42

Quote:
When I bought mine, CW's price was $68 each. I found them online for $44 each at ETrailer.com. Currently they are about $62 each at that site. You may find them cheaper at another website.
Okay, thanks for the info. I've been looking through some websites and have not pick one yet but this has caught my attention.

http://www.carid.com/universal-trail...d-3724504.html

Old 10-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the info. I've been looking through some websites and have not pick one yet but this has caught my attention.

At $38 these look nice. And the version without the license plate holder is only $32! The only drawback is that they appear to be smaller than the typical OEM incandescent lamps. This means you might see some "tanline" evidence of the originals.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

The lights you are considering have been used by a couple of people on this forum. They report (as I remember) that they cover all but one of the original mounting holes. In other words, they are slightly smaller than the OEM lights and with good removal/cleanup of the sealant from the original installation, the only issue you will have is that one of the mounting holes will be visible. It's pretty easy to fill that hole with sealant and unless someone is looking closely, it isn't too noticeable.

Also keep in mind that the lights I installed are actually two LED light assemblies in one frame. There is only one LED assembly in the ones you are considering. That's probably why they cost "half as much" is because they are "half as many LED assemblies"

I think either would work, it's pretty much a decision of whether you want to cover the existing holes or deal with one being exposed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
mobile42

Quote:
The lights you are considering have been used by a couple of people on this forum. They report (as I remember) that they cover all but one of the original mounting holes. In other words, they are slightly smaller than the OEM lights and with good removal/cleanup of the sealant from the original installation, the only issue you will have is that one of the mounting holes will be visible. It's pretty easy to fill that hole with sealant and unless someone is looking closely, it isn't too noticeable.

Also keep in mind that the lights I installed are actually two LED light assemblies in one frame. There is only one LED assembly in the ones you are considering. That's probably why they cost "half as much" is because they are "half as many LED assemblies"

I think either would work, it's pretty much a decision of whether you want to cover the existing holes or deal with one being exposed.

Reading the Bargman reviews on the style you install, was a replacement LED type flasher relay needed so the blinkers had a correct speed? Not sure what was meant on that August 1st post.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If you replace all the turn signal bulbs on your TOW VEHICLE with LED's you need to install a load resistor to the circuit so the TV computer will not cause a "fault" thinking the bulbs are burned out. The TV computer does not "read" the TRAILER light system in that "fault" circuit. So, as long as you have an operational TOW VEHICLE turn signal system, there is no need to install any "adapter" or "load" or "resistor" in the TRAILER to get LED tail light/turn signal lights to work.

Replacing conventional incandescent bulbs with LED lights (either bulb assemblies or complete light assemblies) is a direct ONE to ONE replacement. As long as you connect the wiring correctly, ie: tail to tail and turn to turn, the LED's will operate properly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
mobile42

Quote:
If you replace all the turn signal bulbs on your TOW VEHICLE with LED's you need to install a load resistor to the circuit so the TV computer will not cause a "fault" thinking the bulbs are burned out. The TV computer does not "read" the TRAILER light system in that "fault" circuit. So, as long as you have an operational TOW VEHICLE turn signal system, there is no need to install any "adapter" or "load" or "resistor" in the TRAILER to get LED tail light/turn signal lights to work.

Replacing conventional incandescent bulbs with LED lights (either bulb assemblies or complete light assemblies) is a direct ONE to ONE replacement. As long as you connect the wiring correctly, ie: tail to tail and turn to turn, the LED's will operate properly.
Okay, sounds good but I have no intentions to replace any of my TV OEM lights to LED. Just looking at the RV upgrade. Thanks for the info.