Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
rusty rider

Propane reg

What is the mini Propane Regaular on second bottle on the 07Cougar...Found ours leaking[cracked body?], so bypassed it with pipe nipple and now working OK..

Am I going to blow up in the middle of the night or go straight to jail for doing a no no???

anyone had this problem??? just askin.....Rich

04 Keystone Tail Gator 35fter
05 GMC 2500 D Max wilh Slider
00 Mountain Air 39fter Ranch house
07 Keystone Cougar 28fter w/ Slide
07 ST 1300 Honda the tour bike
09 Kawa Versys 650 street bike
2012 Polaris RXR XP Moded out
rusty rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
eds451

I have an 07 as well, and mine had a regulator on the second bottle too. Kept running out of propane thinking we were using both bottles. After some research, I removed the second regulator and all works as it is supposed to with the auto switching valve.
Leave it off.
No, you will not be contacted by the propane police for FIXING a problem.

Enjoy your rig.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
SoGaDually

What you were told is wrong and is very dangerous. The Mini Regulator which is "RED" in color is a High Pressure Regulator. This regulator is in place to maintain 10 PSI to your system to supply your main regulator (Switch Over Regulator). This maintains a even flow of pressure to your main regulator no matter what the pressure is in your Propane Tank. Which in turns makes you Propane appliances work more efficiently.
Removing the the "RED" regulator will allow tank pressure, which could be from 30 PSI upwards to 200 PSI depending on outside temperature to enter the system causing major leaks and or fire and explosions.
The other reason it it there is if you look at how the system is set up, the "RED" regulator is connected to a piece of Sch 40 Black Pipe which runs across to your switch over regulator, the "RED" regulator is connected by a hose to the tank. The hose is rated as High Pressure the Sch 40 Black Pipe is not. The "RED" regulator maintains 10 PSI to the Black Pipe which is a safe working pressure.
You can pick up a High Pressure Regulator at most Hardware stores. High Pressure Regulators are always "RED" in color and most of the time mark (10 PSI).
On a Propane system be it Home or RV items are put in place for a reason.
Removing the Mini Regulator puts you, your family and anybody around your camper at great danger.
Keep in mind One Gallon of Propane under ideal Conditions it equal to 10 Sticks of Dynamite.
"Still Tree Hugger Friendly"
https://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...46290d167a.jpg
SoGaDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
eds451

Apparently I am being called out on my views on dual propane tank setup.
All I can say is WITHOUT the second tank regulator, my switching valve works correctly.
As with all forums, you find a plethora of opinions. IF in doubt, go to a propane ONLY store/supplier and ask them.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
SoGaDually

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds451 View Post
Apparently I am being called out on my views on dual propane tank setup.
All I can say is WITHOUT the second tank regulator, my switching valve works correctly.
As with all forums, you find a plethora of opinions. IF in doubt, go to a propane ONLY store/supplier and ask them.

Didn't mean to call you out on this. All I was doing was trying to keep someone from blowing themselves and others up. I never said what you did wouldn't work. "It's a safety issue". The Mini Regulator is there to control the line pressure, working pressure and if by chance there is a leak between the tanks you'll have 10 PSI instead of possible 200 PSI to deal with...The other issue is if by chance your RV catches fire do to a gas leak and the investigation fines that you removed the Mini Regulator, your Insurance can "Void" your coverage....Just something to think about..
30 plus years in the LP Gas Business a long with LP Gas Fire investigations. I've seen what can happen...
"Still Tree Hugger Friendly"
https://i653.photobucket.com/albums/u...46290d167a.jpg
SoGaDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
jsmith948

Hello SoGaDually,

Thank you for sharing your expertise with the forum. I had wondered why there were two regulators on our propane system. I wouldn't have considered removing the red regulator (I treat these bottles like live bombs) and I didn't realize that the black pipe was not rated for the higher pressures.
All good knowledge to have. If you can learn at least one thing every day......

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote