Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
masonfox

LED strip light

Hi All
Has any one on the market lknow these LED strip lights that have a sticky back and sell in lengths from 39 inches to 16 feet? They are available in all clear, and colour changing modes. I truly assume the colour altering ones are very cool. However the ones I have discovered right here are in between $30 (for the 39 inch strip). Has everyone discovered them cheaper anyplace? If that's the case, I'd appreciate a supply. Thanks!
mason
masonfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Albert

I installed a 16 foot one on the top of my inside slide. Was very easy and works great. Was inexpensive and comes with the controller. Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
chartrand

I got mine from EBay. They shipped from China, but were delivered in just over a week.

Some things to look for are... 5050 bulbs. 300 bulbs. Waterproof, RGB. Other things are the the controller, there are several types here.. Such as IR or RF for the remote control. Is it a small thin controller or a thick square one. Does it come with a power supply. You may also want a RGB extension cable to run from your controller to the lights themselves.

Enjoy....
Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
rnkburg

I bought a set hoping it would fit in my awning track but it was a little and I mean a little to wide. Ended up putting it in a clear tube I got from Lowe's and hanging from the awning that way. Its the multi color 5050 with remote from eBay. None shipped out of Indiana and came very fast.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Chartrand was spot on on the eBay keywords. The only thing I might add is that some Chinese sellers ship from the USA, often for not much more than it would cost to ship from China.

I got my 5m strip in just two days for $18.50 shipped. Mounted it on the side of the trailer just below the awning so that it is usable whether the awning is in or out.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
brucem26

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
I got my 5m strip in just two days for $18.50 shipped. Mounted it on the side of the trailer just below the awning so that it is usable whether the awning is in or out.
I have been wanting to do this too. Question concerning power... do you then run an extension cord from the outdoor AC outlet up to the lights? Any way to permanently wire them in?

Do you have a link for the source of the lights and any pictures? Thanks.

2104 Montana High Country 318RE
2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
brucem26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
TandE

You can goto radio shack and get a plug that fits in the hole to the led light controller and wire it to 12v. The ac adapter just converts 120v to 12v. Some of the sellers on eBay even have the adapter I think but I didn't think of that when I bought mine and just improvised.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
byrdr1

How do they look on the camper. I noticed they look very electronic on the ebay pages. in real life how do they look once you get them on the camper?
thanks
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
cdawrld

I have mine stuck to the inside of the canopy arm, Across underside of awning roll mount so it can be lit with the awning rolled in. Down the other support arm. Lights the whole side of the trailer nicely.
I use the "white" selection the most. It is a little bluish. But plenty bright enough that I use the dimmer to adjust accordingly. The kids love the colors and flashing functions.
I am happy so far with them after 6 months use.
cdawrld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
How do they look on the camper. I noticed they look very electronic on the ebay pages. in real life how do they look once you get them on the camper?
thanks
randy
I think they look good. The multi color ones when on white mode they have a blue tint to them but that is because all three of the colors are one to create white and the blue kinda over powers the red and green, at least on the ones I got. I saw someone with the warm white ones and it is just fine that way but the rgb ones seem to be a cool white.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
B&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
thanks
randy
This is a pic of one string mounted under awning, have another on the awning tube but not shown in this pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110286 (Small).JPG
Views:	690
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	3869  
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
Jamesrich82

Here's a video of the one I installed last week

The amount of light is amazing. At night it will completely light up the ground 20 ft in front of the trailer to 20 ft behind the trailer, along with completely light up my neighbors back yard
Jamesrich82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Poppy's 5th Wheel

I just installed a strip too. Really simple job. A couple sections of the strip seem to be not sticking as well but I can work with that. The light is amazing. Not a big fan of the various colors but it was given as a gift. My good friend claims I will end up loving the ability to change the colors some times but he mostly uses the bright white on his. The difficult part was having the nerve to drill through the wall of my trailer but a good dose of clear silicone sealed up the hole nicely.

Not easy to see in the daylight but:
2007 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison CC 4x4
2007 Corvette Z51
2009 Cadillac CTS
Poppy's 5th Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Trkworm2

2010 Fuzion. M405

Newbie here,

Does anyone know the best place to pick up 12v and 110 v for LED light strips? Purchased mine last week from Amazon, and am going to mount up under the awning rail on the side of the RV.

Any ideas on how best to get power to the strip. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Best

Trkworm2
Trkworm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
diugo
Permanent User Ban

If you have a power awning, one of the channels mounted on the RV houses the awning power cable, which, on my RV at least, enters the RV near the bottom of that channel. The cable is hidden by a plastic insert, which can be easily removed, so that a second hole can be drilled into the basement area, where 12V power can be easily obtained. No 120VAC necessary.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
Trkworm2

LED Awning Lights

I do and I will, great idea and I appreciate it. There is a controller for the LED strip for the remote and color selections/cycle, so not sure if that has to be powered by 110 or not.

I'll check that out when it comes in, but just knowing how to wire this thing up is a start.

Many thanks again,

Trkworm2
Trkworm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
Robby9

I used mine last weekend. I set them to slowly fade red, green and blue. Kids love it.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #18
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkworm2 View Post
I do and I will, great idea and I appreciate it. There is a controller for the LED strip for the remote and color selections/cycle, so not sure if that has to be powered by 110 or not.

I'll check that out when it comes in, but just knowing how to wire this thing up is a start.

Many thanks again,

Trkworm2
The control box doesn't take 120v, it has an input voltage of 12v. You can use 120 because most that come with the 120 plug have a 12v output. So the best way since you always will have 12v is to just use a 12v source.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #19
cvizgo

Theres a good link in here to LED's off amazon.

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12472
2011 Keystone Passport 3050
cvizgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I like it slowly cycling through the color spectrum. Unfortunately this usually has the effect of obnoxiously bright with blues and greens but much dimmer with reds, especially pure red.

Solution? I used something called a "microcontroller", which is essentially an inexpensive $28 12V mini computer you can completely program using a laptop. Three of its outputs drive power transistors which in turn drive the three colors of the LED strip.

This way I can program it so that the blues and greens are as dim as the red.
http://microcontrollershop.com/produ...oducts_id=4380

Tags
led's, stripes