Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Port List

Smile Stainless Sink & Faucet Install

Well, it all started out innocently enough. DW and I went to Lowes for a pair of grass shears. As we passed by the stainless sinks, she remarked that she would really rather have one of those than the crappy plastic faucet and sink in the TT. Of course I replied "I can do that", to which she smiled really big and I was sunk. It was not quite a drop in; I ended up having to cut the top of the cabinet all the way to the wall and then attach a thinner support for the back of the sink to allow the sink to drop in. I drilled 1" holes in the new back support to allow the sink clips to grip the back piece. Also had to cut the top right to the edge and a bit into the front cabinet frame on the inside. Rerouted the plumbing, drain and supply, put it all together and the result looks good with all the other stainless in the galley.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	3663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	3664   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	3665   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	3666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	3667  

2018 Jayco JayFlight 195 SLX
2018 F-150
Port List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
michol02

Very nice mod

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
f6bits

Which faucet is that? I bought a cheap one with the side sprayer and would like to get a nicer one. I've also been tempted to upgrade the kitchen sink. Which means I'll have to upgrade the tiny bathroom sink as well.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Bob Landry

Thats's nice and I'm betting that DW is going to want one eventually. I'm wondering about some of the smaller two sided sinks that are sold for wet bars and if using one of those might cut down on some of the carpenter work.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Port List

Thank you, michol02, for the kind words.

2018 F-150
Old 07-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Port List

Hello f6bits. The faucet is a Delta 300-DST, Chrome finish, from Home Depot at $78.00. It installs very easily with pre-made 3/8 compression fittings, but I did shorten the lines to neaten up the install. Yes, after seeing the nice sink in the galley, the bathroom fixture is begging me for attention too.

2018 F-150
Old 07-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Port List

Hello Bob - Yes, the smaller bar sinks might cut down on the rework, but most are so small you might end up with the opposite problem - too big a hole in the counter. It's really not that difficult to fit a regular sink, though, just do the measure 3 times cut once drill and it will work out. The hardest part was the lack of forethought on my part which sent me sawing with a jigsaw without covering anything in the trailer. Took hours to clean up my mess!

2018 F-150
Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port List View Post
Hello Bob - Yes, the smaller bar sinks might cut down on the rework, but most are so small you might end up with the opposite problem - too big a hole in the counter. It's really not that difficult to fit a regular sink, though, just do the measure 3 times cut once drill and it will work out. The hardest part was the lack of forethought on my part which sent me sawing with a jigsaw without covering anything in the trailer. Took hours to clean up my mess!
I just happened to think of using a smaller sink as a countertop space saving measure. Keystone used very little foresight in that department. The smaller sink that comes in the trailer is plenty for the amount of washing that DW & I have to do and a standard size would eat up every bit of our counter space. I'm wishing there was room to build a work island in the kitchen, but the space for it just isn't there.

I've built countertops and covered them with laminate, so that may be the route I take if I ever need to upgrade the kitchen sink & countertop.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Jca3

nice

I love your new sink. Good job.
This is the DW speaking so I hate the plastic one I have in the Laredo although my faucet is a nice tall brown metal. My problem is the way the Laredo counter is very thick near the sink. About 6 inches and the entire thing is short. I am quite tall causing me to have to bend over and hold with the lower back muscles to do dishes. We chose the rear living for the great wide seating space plus windows surrounding the room, but the kitchen is my least favorite thing in the trailer.
We chose our Jayco for the kitchen, stainless sink great counter tops in a L shape and lots of cabinets. I know I can't have everything because you have to give up something for a great kitchen. Namely not being able to have windows on every side. I will take the views and the aching back.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Port List

Thanks for the kind words Kat(?) DW here is very happy with the result. Since you are tall, perhaps it might be possible to build a frame a few inches thick to raise the sink level to a more comfortable position. I know your pain; we live in a 1906 historic home and the counters are about 4-6" lower than standard. DW is threatening to take the dishes out to the trailer to wash them. Turns out people were shorter at the turn of the century! Good luck on making your galley more comfortable to use.

2018 F-150