Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
gkainz

Backfill fresh water tank?

Since a back injury has severely limited my lifting, I've been pondering how to rig up valves to allow my winterizing setup to backfill from a jug into the freshwater tank. Anyone done this or something similar?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
GaryWT

Not sure what you are trying to do. I use the home on the pump to stick in the jug, the fresh water tank is mostly empty as I do not use it so nothing goes in it, not sure what you mean to back fill, sorry.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Since a back injury has severely limited my lifting, I've been pondering how to rig up valves to allow my winterizing setup to backfill from a jug into the freshwater tank. Anyone done this or something similar?
You can get one of those pumps that is run by a power drill. Then run tubing to the jug and to the fresh water fill port.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
PerryB

I routinely do this with my Mountaineer, but you have to have an outside faucet on the trailer to do it. I have a short male only hose that I attach to the winterize port and stick into the jug full of water. I then attach the outside hose (has an air chuck type fitting) to the outside faucet and stick the other end into the fresh tank fill. Turn on the winterize valve, turn on the faucet (cold only) and turn on the water pump and away you go. When the jug is nearly empty just shut off the faucet and the pump will stop. Switch jugs, turn on the faucet again and you're pumping again. Another handy thing I sometimes use is an RV water pump with a 7-pin RV plug wired to it (using about an 8 foot cord) that plugs into the back of my truck using the power and ground pins. This powers the pump and I can refill from a 55 gal. food grade barrel (plastic) that I carry when boondocking. I become rather popular at hunting camp when I take my barrel and everybodys jugs into town and come back and refill our water tanks.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
gkainz

to those confused about my use of back-fill, sorry about that ... I'll try to explain, but I'll bet before I get the explanation out, I'm going to resort to Visio and drawing pictures...

On my Laredo, the fresh water winterizing kit is a T and a valve in the line between the fresh water tank and the pump.

In Normal mode, the pump draws water from the fresh water tank and distributes downstream to the water faucets.

In Winterizing mode, the pump draws from the hose attached to the T valve, whereas one can stick the hose in the antifreeze jug and once again, distribute downstream to the faucets.

My thought was to perhaps rig another T and valve that would loop back around from downstream of the pump either into the freshwater tank or cut into another T or maybe a 3 way valve on the winterizing valve, essentially using the pump to draw from the winterizing hose (stuck into a 5 gallon jug of fresh water in this case) and back-feeding into the fresh water tank.

Using Perry B's method above, I could hook a hose to my outdoor shower and stick the other end in my fresh water fill port, and pump from the jug to the tank. But, they're on opposite sides of the trailer, so would take a little running back and forth. But, it would work with no modifications except a hose to connect to the shower line.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote