Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
billb800si

Excuses - excuses

Can you believe this??
I pick up my 2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES on Friday. I drive home 80+ miles and find out the 2 sets of keys they gave me don't work in the main door??? So I call the dealer back- the sales mgr. suggested I drive back & they will fix the problem. I tell him the diesel fuel to drive round trip would cost more than the door lock would cost. He says don't worry they will pay for the fuel. Then I get a call from their service mgr. who leaves a message for me saying that their technician positively checked the trailer keys before he gave them to me. Like I care if the tech checked them or not. The fact remains the keys don't work. I tried every combination imaginable and I can't lock my trailer. Of course by then they are closed for the holiday weekend.
Tuesday when America goes back to work I'm going to call & SUGGEST they just send me a new door handle/lock assy. with 2 sets of keys and I'll replace the lock and send them the old one back. Simple solution !!!
Just hope I don't get caught up in some bureaucratic mess.
I was in the Industrial Service Industry for 44 years and it still amazes me that people don't understand the K.I.S.S. principle. (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Okay, I feel better, thanks for listening...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
f6bits

The keys usually have a key code stamped on them. Maybe someone here knows if the door lock assembly has that code stamped somewhere. A local locksmith would be able to make a set of keys using that number.

When you picked up the trailer, did you get some time to do a PDI to check if there were any other problems?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
billb800si

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
The keys usually have a key code stamped on them. Maybe someone here knows if the door lock assembly has that code stamped somewhere. A local locksmith would be able to make a set of keys using that number.
When you picked up the trailer, did you get some time to do a PDI to check if there were any other problems?
=================================

The only other problem I noticed was the toilet very slowly drains the water out. looks like maybe the seal isn't set properly. I noticed they have some type of grease smeared on the valve/seal area but if I put water in there it drains out after about 10 minutes.
I was impressed with their pressurized leak test. They close up the trailer. Open a roof vent and have an intake fan connected that pressurizes the inside of the trailer then they go around and spray a soapy solution on all the seams/ windows etc... looking for bubbles. ..
The dining room slide out makes more noise than the other two when operated but all seems to be working well.
The power hitch jack is a brute. I extended it too far and it lifted the back of my 3/4 ton Dodge Ram off the ground. That's some jack!!!
Things will work out in the end...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Javi

The grease is there to prevent the seal from sticking/drying out during shipping and waiting to be used...

Water should stand in toilet until it evaporates or you flush it.. If it doesn't then you need to get that corrected.. Water should always stand in the bowl to prevent sewer gas from leaking around the seal and to keep the seal lubricated... In winter a 1/2 bowl of RV antifreeze does the same...