Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
danimal

cable TV and antenna connections

I have a new to me 2005 Keystone 245RKS 5th wheel. I have done some testing regarding the cable connections in the trailer and determined that the connection in the bedroom only attaches to the antenna and the connection in the living area only attaches to the outside cable TV jack. This seems very strange but in any regard, has anyone ever encountered this situation and if so, how can this be remedied. In addition, there is no powered antenna booster which I will remedy by installing a new Jack antenna. Thank you.
2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS
2008 Gulf Stream Trailmaster M220
Cobia 220 Walkaround w/Yamaha 200 OX-66 Fuel injection
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
therink

They should be all on one circuit tied into the antenna. Try removing the booster wall plate. There is likely a splitter either on back of booster asemmbly or a coax splitter hanging loose in the wall cavity behind the booster. This is usually where you all in wall factory coax wires merge. It is possible that the previous owner modified the cable in feed to bass the antenna circuit so they could use outside connection for dedicated feed to main TV for satellite feed.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
danimal

Thank you for the reply. There is no antenna booster anywhere that I have found just a plate with a cable connection in the living area and bedroom. I previously removed the plate in the living area and saw no loose connections. Since it is by the radio/CD I removed that as well which gave me nearly complete access and I did not find any loose cable connections or splitters. Last camping trip I used a cable splitter in the bedroom (with the antenna connection) and ran a cable down the hallway to the TV in the living area. It was workable but not ideal. Maybe I need to remove the wall plate in the bedroom ceiling to see if there was any modifications previously done there.

As an aside, I love the 5th wheel over my previous travel trailer. No sway when towing, much more room as opposed to a travel trailer of the same length.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
therink

If you have a crank up antenna on the roof, I am confident that you have a powered antenna booster somewhere. It has a little button with a small light on it and sometimes a CIG lighter adapter for 12 v power.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
danimal

Yes, I am familiar with this type of wallplate/jack as I had one in my previous trailer but there is not one in this trailer. I do have a Winegard crank up antenna. When it stops raining, I will go out to the trailer and remove the antenna/cable plate in the bedroom ceiling to see if there might be something disconnnected there.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
danimal

I will inform anyone of my findings just to finish this thread and to possibly help anyone who encounters this same issue. The trailer is a 2005 Keystone Hornet 245RKS 5th wheel. The cable connection in the bedroom was connected ONLY to the outside antenna. The cable connection in the living area was ONLY connected to cable connection on the outside of the trailer. There was no antenna booster in the trailer and there was a factory installed Winegard crank-up antenna. I am assuming the antenna was factory installed as the antenna was mounted on the passenger side roof (in the bedroom) and the cable connection is on the driver side ceiling of the bedroom. I removed the radio as well as other service panels and determined that there was no splitter anywhere in the trailer.

The resolution: I figured out a way to run a cable through the bedroom floor, through the basement and into the entertainment center in the living area. I attached a cable splitter on each end in the cable-out position. I attached a cable from the living area wall plate and to the cable-in position on the splitter and in the bedroom I attached a cable from the ceiling plate to the cable-in on that splitter. The TV's were then attached with cable to the other cable-out on the splitters. In addition, I replaced the Winegard batwing with a Jack Antenna which included an antenna booster. Now, I can watch cable TV or broadcast TV without running a cable down the hallway or changing any connections.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
therink

Are you the original owner? If not, it sounds like the previous owner may have modified the factory coaxial wiring and removed the antenna booster to accommodate a satellite set up, such as what I have done. I have modded my factory wiring so that both connections on the outside of my rig bypass the antenna wiring altogether and run directly to 2 different TV locations using the in wall factory coaxial runs.
We never use our antenna.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
danimal

The previous owner may have done some modifications, obviously, I do not know. However, if they did, they removed any and all traces of how it should have been wired. There were no unconnected cables, splitters or any trace of electrical wiring for an antenna booster. I had nearly everything apart.