Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Sewer Hose Autopsy

My sewer hose sprung a leak, and not wanting to exceed my budget of $1/year for sewer hoses, I performed an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death.

I was surprised to find that all three perforations were along unexposed accordion bends---areas completely protected when the hose is compressed in transit. This challenges the popular theory that rust in the bumper or casual surface abrasion is the dominant cause of hose failures, because then failure would occur on along a wire edge.

Because all the perforations were near the dump station end of the hose, it became evident that each failure occurred where the stretched hose rubbed against the sharp concrete edge of the dump station hole.

To mitigate such failures in the future, a one-foot length of the old hose will be coupled to the new hose in a sacrificial role. When the appendage sustains sufficient similar damage, it can be easily replaced, several times, using additional short lengths of the old hose---at zero cost.

It will undoubtedly be suggested that a 90-degree solid coupling might better serve this purpose. However, this solution is considerably more expensive---and will not fit into the bumper.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Woodsrider

A plastic tote lid between the hose and the ground will also work.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
hankaye

diugo, Howdy;

I use PVC rain gutter, It comes in 8 or 10 foot sections, cut into
different lengths it will support your hose the full length from the RV to THE HOLE...
Prop up the end near the RV so you get a good downhill run.
As a fulltimer I keep mine off the ground while in camp and if I should need
to dump while on a road trip I use an appropriate length for that purpose.

hankaye

I have 2 ea. 5' lengths, a 6' and a 4' these have worked for me for 4 years
now. When I'm roosting in one spot for awhile, I'll use the un-used to cover
the hose to protect it from the sun and sharp pointed birdy feets.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
SlowPoke

I feel your $1/year pain....

I would recommend 35 cents worth of duct tape strips ... to bring your existing hose back from the dead

Not really...that was a joke! (But probably what I'd do at my budget!! LOL)

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I thought about duct tape---after all, it and WD40 are the only two tools any RVer really needs. However, I concluded it would get quite yucky quite quick.

In the end, I spent $3 on a pair of adjustable 3" hose clamps, to ensure the short sacrificial length doesn't sacrifice itself prematurely by falling into the hole.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Roller4Tan

I hope your budget includes a hose ring to keep the sewer gasses where they belong. Your neighbor will appreciate it while he sits at his picnic table eating.
:
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
BigCajun

I see hoses on the side of the road all the time. They probably fly out of the back of the truck or fall out of the fence posts or rusted out bumpers. Just pull over and pick up a new one...
Old 08-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
x96mnn

After 4 years of camping 50 plus nights a year and experiencing the same thing with the blue stinky slinky on well you know the hottest day of the year and need to be out by 11. I calculated the cost of the 3 stinky slinky's I had bought, the box of rubber gloves, (Which I still use), and various connectors my budget over a $1 a year was well blown. I broke down last year and bought the ryno flex hose and 80 plus dumps latter have no regrets. It is stronger and just seems to dump better if that makes any sense at all. My friend in crime who has the bad dump stories also did the same and his luck has got better as well. We also split the cost of the adapter that will bridge our two hoses together that way we have 30 feet of hose instead of 15 for those tight dumping station scenarios.

May not be for everyone but the best $40 bucks I spend on a camping accessory yet.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

Darn i was going to suggest you run for congress but alas i see you blew the budget!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller4Tan View Post
I hope your budget includes a hose ring to keep the sewer gasses where they belong. Your neighbor will appreciate it while he sits at his picnic table eating.
What's a hose ring? Is that like a nose ring?

Don't worry, my gases won't be bothering any neighbors, because I never stay in RV parks or campgrounds. I much prefer the dump station to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR
Darn i was going to suggest you run for congress but alas i see you blew the budget!!
Not true! I got my current dump hose for free, three years ago when I got my new Cougar---and I kept the old hose from my trade-in, to use as an extension.

So the $3 for hose clamps is right on target!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
What's a hose ring? Is that like a nose ring?

Don't worry, my gases won't be bothering any neighbors, because I never stay in RV parks or campgrounds. I much prefer the dump station to them
!
Would those be the gases emanating from you or your RV?
Old 08-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

ok then you gonna run I'll vote for you!!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
audio1der

Both my 90* fitting and hose ring fit inside the 5" vinyl post I transport my stinky slinky in, with just a hair trimmed off four edges of the ring to make it square-ish.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...er-fitting.jpg
Our gray tank need s to be emptied often, so leaving the sewer hose attached to the dump pipe is imperative.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote