Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
gearhead

Keystone Cougar High Country 5th whl

Just joined the forum and have a few questions. Imagine that!
I found on the internet a new 2012 Cougar 246RLS High Country 5th wheel. It's a 500 mile round trip to go look at it. It is the gray color exterior. What can be expected of the exterior if it has been parked outside for 2 years? I haven't laid eyes on this thing yet and am wondering if the front cap has faded yet. Has this issue and the poor quality decals been resolved by the 2012 model year? I expect the usual "it's great" response from a salesman. They are asking $12k off the "suggested list". I'm thinking they need to come off more, of course!!
And...does anyone have any recommendations for a cover if I buy this? Tyvek or Sunbrella??
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Jim Dow

2011 Montana High Country

We purchased a used Montana High Country (2011) in January of this year. It had been kept outside with not much use. It was in like new condition both inside and outside (no mods). I paid $39k for the trailer. We have used it three or four times - pulled it a total of about 500 miles; and we really enjoy it. No issues to date. I pull it with a 2011 F250 Super Duty; and it pulls well. I use a B&W Combination/Sidewinder hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Montana High Country.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck F250.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	3628   Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckToolboxHoist.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	3629  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Love2camp

to the forum from Florida and good luck with the new Cougar.

2012 Keystone Alpine 3700RE
2006 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 DRW
Love2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Wayne

We have owned a 2012 299RKS for almost 2 yrs. Unfortunately we do not have a garage so it is outside. Only 2 or 3 minor issues & no decal issues to date. We switched the recliners for theater seating & I modified the interior steps from 2 to 3. We still think it is a pretty good value for the price; compared to all the competition. Good luck with your decision.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
Husky slide
2012 Cougar HC 299RKS

Remember, "No matter where you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Albert

We have owned a 2011 model since January. The previous owner did not cover it and it was parked outside. There is some slight fading towards the top of the front cap. All other areas look great and all decals are fine. It has been stored in our pole barn since we purchased it. We love it.