Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
sjturbo

1st 5thwheel tow, need encouragement!

We will be picking up our first 5th wheel in two weeks, 35' Laredo. This will be my first 5th wheel towing experience. We will pick it up in Tulsa and drive it to Arizona, lotsa miles! I could have it delivered but you know that runs $$$$! TV is a 2001 F250 SB with a newly installed SuperGlide. I read a recent post regarding the poor roads in OK. (I40)? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!! Finding accessible gas (height concerns).
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
sjturbo

1st 5er tow, need moral support.

Put this in two forums so forgive me.We will be picking up our first 5th wheel in two weeks, 35' Laredo. This will be my first 5th wheel towing experience. We will pick it up in Tulsa and drive it to Arizona, lotsa miles! I could have it delivered but you know that runs $$$$! TV is a 2001 F250 SB with a newly installed SuperGlide. I read a recent post regarding the poor roads in OK. (I40)? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!! Finding accessible gas (height concerns).
Old 06-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjturbo View Post
We will be picking up our first 5th wheel in two weeks, 35' Laredo. This will be my first 5th wheel towing experience. We will pick it up in Tulsa and drive it to Arizona, lotsa miles! I could have it delivered but you know that runs $$$$! TV is a 2001 F250 SB with a newly installed SuperGlide. I read a recent post regarding the poor roads in OK. (I40)? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!! Finding accessible gas (height concerns).
I have not driven on I40 in quite some time, so I cannot comment.

Regarding fuel and high clearance.... You should be able to find plenty of good spots along your route here:

http://www.loves.com/LocateUs/LocationMap.aspx

http://www.pilotflyingj.com/locations

http://www.tatravelcenters.com/find-a-location.php
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Put this in two forums so forgive me.We will be picking up our first 5th wheel in two weeks, 35' Laredo. This will be my first 5th wheel towing experience. We will pick it up in Tulsa and drive it to Arizona, lotsa miles! I could have it delivered but you know that runs $$$$! TV is a 2001 F250 SB with a newly installed SuperGlide. I read a recent post regarding the poor roads in OK. (I40)? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!! Finding accessible gas (height concerns).
I responded to your other (duplicate post) in the "prospective owners" forum. Should have some good info.

As an FYI, it's not necessary to post the same question in multiple sub-forums since a good portion of the members here log in and use "new posts" or alternatively "todays posts". These are searches which cross all sub-forums here. Should minimize duplication and consolidate answers given into a single thread.

When you return to the forum, if you find it difficult to find threads you've started or have posted in, use the "User CP" link (top right menu bar) and the center section will populate with threads you're "subscribed" to.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
BlindGuyNAR

I40 is as bad as ever! For some Arizona perspective some of the expansion joints feel like the Grand Canyon as you cross them. Of course that's the better part of the road Seriously it gets bad at times.

Which dealership in Tulsa did you purchase from? Probably either camperland or deans.

Since you'll be headed straight out make sure the dealership takes time to install pin box in the right location. They'll want to just leave it as-is, but since your hitting the road make sure it's right. Nose rides high or not enough bed rail clearance would suck out of the box on a long trip. Don't take you'll be ok as an answer on this one.

Ask their advice on getting out of town with least trafic/construction.

Remember to turn wide as 5th wheels don't track rear truck axle like a rear mounted trailer does.
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Dhuhn

Congrats on the new 5er, you will like the way it pull, just take your time when making corners as you will have to make wider turns. And just take your time you will get use to pulling it the more you drive.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
sjturbo

Thanks for the information regarding Love's and Pilot/FJ. That puts my mind at ease regarding height issues. The Grand Canyon analogy is NOT comforting at all! But I appreciate the heads up so I am alert to the conditions. Working with Dean's on this one. I plan to check the pinbox clearance, How much room should I have? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
therink

You will love towing the fiver. Totally different experience from bumper pull. Backing can be a little trickier until you get used to the swing radius. You will need to pull a bit more forward before turning when making right hand turns to clear curbs, overhead obstacles, etc. Just take it slow and use your mirrors.You may find the rear suspension in the 01 f250 to be a little unforgiving with the pin weight. I believe the newer f series have improved payload and suspensions. Enjoy the new rig.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
BlindGuyNAR

Quote:
Thanks for the information regarding Love's and Pilot/FJ. That puts my mind at ease regarding height issues. The Grand Canyon analogy is NOT comforting at all! But I appreciate the heads up so I am alert to the conditions. Working with Dean's on this one. I plan to check the pinbox clearance, How much room should I have? Thanks!
I bought from deans in feb. Good people. Bought from Steve. I traveled from Arkansas over to Tulsa. Only about 125 miles for me

Here a post from another site about I40 http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/27015409.cfm not trying to scare you just need to take care and you be fine. The worse parts are as you get closer to OKC.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
sjturbo

Thanks, I read the I40 post earlier today. Certainly not good to hear. Excuse my ignorance but is I40 two lane or 4 lane divided?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
BlindGuyNAR

Quote:
Thanks, I read the I40 post earlier today. Certainly not good to hear. Excuse my ignorance but is I40 two lane or 4 lane divided?
Four divided
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Four lane, divided interstate.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
Outbackmel

I 40 travels

Traveled I 40 last year from AZ back to GA. First long trip out west and back over 3 months. Road has expansion joints BUT I never experienced any discomfort or concern other than weather concerns. Road is four lane divided and at 63mph. 11mpg. 36 ft Outback pulled by a 2500 Dodge 6.7 cummins. Loaded down with enough "stuff" for 3 months. Fuel stops, food stops, rest stops never any issue. I DID plan my days and BOOKED campgrounds in advance EACH DAY. Used Good Sam and Woodall's.
Safe travels.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
Chipsahoy

Congratulations on your purchase!! I just joined this board but have been RV'ing for the past 14 years. We too live in Arizona (Lake Havasu) and drive this route at least once a year to visit family in Texas and Oklahoma. In fact we will be headed that way the first week of August. For your first long trip with a brand new rig you couldn't have picked a easier route. Plenty of spots to get fuel and nice RV parks to spend the night. Easy on and off the freeway. We have yet to make reservations because I never know how far I feel like driving that day or if somthing is going to peak our interest and we want to stop to explore. Just remember do not stress and have fun, thats the reason we choose this type of lifestyle! You will do great!!
Chipsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Bob Landry

I40 is a good road with plenty of fuel stops and easy in/outs. Most truck stops have RV lanes that make it easier. There is a publication called Next Exit. I think it's also in App form. Tells you what is at every exit on about every Interstate. Start looking for a fuel stop at around half a tank. It will keep you from being put in a "have to" situation. As far as bad roads, you are going to encounter them in every state and on every major highway. Just get used to them and drive accordingly. A rough road is like an annoying neighbor in a CG. You don't have to put up with it for very long and one of you leaves. I worry more about other drivers towing with unsafe rigs than I do road conditions and weather.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
Outbackmel

Fuel stops

Good Sam's gives great route planning as well as Next Exit app. I like to have a print copy for DW to provide info on rest stops, fuel, etc. We use technology if needed for places like Walmart, etc.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote