Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
jqp_ptc

Bullet 31BHPR Outside Kitchen Leaking?

We've only had our 2013 31BHPR out a few times so far, but every time I've opened the outdoor kitchen, I've found a little but of standing water on the countertop. Either the seal around the door is leaking, or water is coming from someplace internal (sink drain, maybe?)

Yesterday, I opened it up and found that the little hinged piece of countertop that hangs down has warped and the laminate is all buckled from the moisture.

I could call Keystone direct and request a new piece, but it will most likely happen again. Anybody else have water mysteriously appear in the outside kitchen?

Funny thing is, when I took delivery of the unit, the tech doing to walk-through with me said he had to change that exact piece out before delivery because it was "damaged." I wonder if the same thing happened then.

JQP
jqp_ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
wrighfr58

I have a similar set-up without any issues. I would file a claim to get it fixed correctly.

2008 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.4L Diesel
wrighfr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
snow

We have the same unit 2013 model ,have had it out about 8 trips with no issues ,I have noticed that on a long hot trip our outside frig will warm up and condisate and leak a little out the door but nothing serious enough to warp anything , one thing I do now is put a towel rolled up under the door so far that has worked ,hope this helps, have fun ,be safe , and god bless⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄
Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Comptech

I would find were the water was coming from. Maybe the fridge is leaking, of if the dealer had said that the flip up piece was damaged, then it is most likely coming from someplace else as the fridge would not have been turned on much during prep. My second guess would be the seal around the door is leaking. If it came from the dealer like that then I doubt the fridge or the sink would have been used enough to do that... hmmm good luck...

2012 Cougar 330RBK
GVWR 12,265
2004 Ford F-350
Comptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
jqp_ptc

Well, I've found the water in the outside kitchen when the unit is parked at the RV storage lot, so it has to be rain water getting in somehow. The rubber seals all look pristine, so I'm stumped.

I'm amazed they made the counters out of something this cheap and susceptible to water damage.

I also had a puddle inside the camper at the corner of one slide after I set up the other day. It had rained the previous day, so I'm guessing it was water that got squeegee'd off when I put the slide out. No issues with the slide out in the rain.

JQP
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #6
enyapp

My 2013 31BHPR is in the shop right now for the same reason. And a few other reasons. On mine the rubber seal was folded up across the top starting at each corner. The door was also slightly separated from the hinge. The pop rivets weren't tight so you could see a gap between the hinge and the door (each corner of the hinge was screwed into the door nice and tight though). A combination of the gap and the seal folded up resulted in the leak when it rained. The service department is replacing the door, graphics for the new door, counter top, the hinged facia piece and possibly the stove counter top.
In case you were wondering the other reasons are another rain leak from the frameless windows (front bedroom passenger side), electric jack RET/EXT button was sticking, bubbles in the dicor sealant at the seam between the roof and the front cap (right in the center, one looked like someone was blowing a bubblegum bubble and another one had popped). While it was there I also asked them to check the axles (see other thread). When it was delivered my father-in-law said that rear axle looks funny like something was wrong.

Note: When pinestraw would partially block the rain gutter/spout the water would spill over the gutter onto the side making both leaks worse.
enyapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
jqp_ptc

Thanks, I found a ship up in Marietta, "Three Way Campers" that said they'd be happy to do my warranty work even though I didnt buy the unit there. Both the selling dealer and this dealer are "Route 66" dealers... so I think that helps.

They're going to do the roof recall for me as well as look at the leaking kitchen thing. I'll let you know how it works out.

I was up a ladder looking at the roof the other day and noticed a lot of bubbles in the roofing. I guess some of that is normal, but I'll have the dealer check it out as well.

JQP
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
jqp_ptc

Keystone is sending a new counter top for the outside kitchen and the dealer is replacing the gasket with something better.

The dealer said they had to order "parts" for the roof recall. I thought it was just pop rivets. Maybe it's something more elaborate?
Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
therink

Does the kitchen comartment door have a piano style hinge across the top?
If so, I had water getting in through my basement compartment door (piano hinge on top). My seal was perfect. I finally fugured out water was weeping through the very small horizontal gap between the horizontal hinge and where the hinge meets the trailer sidewall molding. I ran a tiny bead of caulk into the gap and no more leak. That was 2 yrs ago. A dime would not fit into this gap, so it doesnt look as if water would get in, but it did. I ended up caulking the hinge gaps on all of my upward opening hatches.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
jqp_ptc

Dealer says they've completed the roof recall work, but are waiting on BOTH a whole new countertop AND the hinged skirt that covers the swing out grill to come-in from Keystone.

They say they figured out where the leak was coming from.... we'll see.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
jqp_ptc

I picked up the unit from Three Way Campers in Marietta on Saturday. The fixed the water leak with some Silicon Caulk and additional seals. The countertops have been replaced.

The funny thing is - the whole reason I took the unit in for service was for the roof fastener recall. The dealer says the recall work had already been completed at some point. Sigh.