Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
kevin r brown

2008 raptor 3612 electric problems

When hooking up to the electric at a campground with 30 amp service, after sitting for a while I kicked the breaker out at the electric post. It would not reset. When this has happened last night the only 110 volts we were using was the tv ,ceiling fan, and electric water heater.The breaker on the outside electric would not reset. I tried to rest the GFI breaker on the outlet right inside the door. I could not push the test or the reset button in. After that, there was no breakers popped out in the electric panel in the camper. I then shut off all the breakers in the box inside the camper except the main. I then went outside and reset the breaker on the pole and the power stayed on. Went inside the camper and was able to push the test button and then the rest and the GFI outlet.( I have had this at the dealer last fall for the same issue and all they found was that the GFI breaker needed to be reset.) It worked fine after that. I then turned all the breakers back on and they worked after that. This has happened several times. Has anyone else had the problem happen to them. This is my first post. Any help would be appreciated. This may not have anything to do with this incident, but this summer,I was arranging some stuff in the side department next to where you plug the power cord into the side of the camper and when I touched the metal on the outside of the department, I felt a small shock.Thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
Jim W

My advice is to obtain a muilt-meter. I would then start checking each circuit for an open short or overload condition. Something is triping the GFI plugs in your camper.
The way I would do it is to turn off all of the breakers at the service box in the camper. I would then turn on one circuit at a time and then check that circuit for an overload condition and or short. As you eliminate this cicruit mark it as completed, then move on to the next cicrcuit. I would also look at the GFI plugs and see if they are working corectly. They do tend to wear out and fail after awhile.
The next thing I would do is look for a worn, frayed wire in the camper were you plug the power cord in to the recaptical. I would also look for a poor ground in this area also.
If you are not comfortable in doing this, I would then hire a qualified electrician to do this for you.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Terrydactile

If the skin on your trailer is shocking you there is a problem. You've either got a wire shorted to the skin or a poor ground. When you touch the skin you become the path to ground. A potentially deadly situation. You can check this with a multimeter but you are going to have to know what you are doing to fix the problem.