Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
dndweeks

Things to Consider

It's only taken me 6 or 7 years, but I finally have hubby on board to becoming RVers

We don't own a tow vehicle at this point, but did go out and do some RV shopping so we would have a better idea on the best vehicle for our family. With 2 kids and 3 dogs, we really want/need a bunkhouse travel trailer and have begun looking to get an idea of the size truck we'll need. So far we like the Outback 320BH and Springdale 303BHSSR.

Hubby really likes the Silverado trucks and is looking at a 2500HD or a 3500. I would rather go with the 2500HD because the truck is likely going to become the vehicle that I use to transport kids, dogs and to run errands when it's not pulling a travel trailer sometime in the future. I don't want to be driving around too much truck. However, hubby has some concerns about sway when pulling a travel trailer and feels that getting a 3500 Dually would be a better choice.

I'm now out here looking to all you experienced RVers for some words of wisdom and experience. And I will be sharing all responses with hubby.

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Htfiremedic

We looked at the bunkhouse with 2 kids and a dog. We talked with a family this year, while camping, and their kids outgrew the bunks. We went with a toy hauler with twin queen bunks. The kids and dog have their own area! Rubber floor and all! Plus if it rains they can still play with the bunks raised.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
rnkburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htfiremedic View Post
We looked at the bunkhouse with 2 kids and a dog. We talked with a family this year, while camping, and their kids outgrew the bunks. We went with a toy hauler with twin queen bunks. The kids and dog have their own area! Rubber floor and all! Plus if it rains they can still play with the bunks raised.
Although I purchased a toy hauler for my ATV trips I found out quickly that the second room was a great option that I never thought about and honestly now makes toy hauler the first choice if I buy again. For truck, get the 3500 and forget it, also skip the travel trailer and go fifth wheel, not much difference in price and no worries of sway, makes the drive so much nicer.

I wad originally looking at a bumper pull toy hauler, and it was only 4k difference for me to go to the 5er. It was a no brainer in my opinion

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
dndweeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
Although I purchased a toy hauler for my ATV trips I found out quickly that the second room was a great option that I never thought about and honestly now makes toy hauler the first choice if I buy again. For truck, get the 3500 and forget it, also skip the travel trailer and go fifth wheel, not much difference in price and no worries of sway, makes the drive so much nicer.

I wad originally looking at a bumper pull toy hauler, and it was only 4k difference for me to go to the 5er. It was a no brainer in my opinion

Would love a 5er, but don't have room in the cab of the truck for two kids and 3 dogs.

Our plan was to put a cap on the truck and get a dog box for the dogs so they can ride safely in the truck bed. That means no 5er.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
35mastr

3500 truck in my opinion, You can never have to much truck. I would also move up to a Fifth Wheel also. Way easier to tow and alot more stable on the road also.
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
35mastr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndweeks View Post
Would love a 5er, but don't have room in the cab of the truck for two kids and 3 dogs.

Our plan was to put a cap on the truck and get a dog box for the dogs so they can ride safely in the truck bed. That means no 5er.
The dog boxes will fit in front of the Fifth Wheel hitch. I put quite a bit of stuff in front of my hitch.
[B]Honda 3000IS
35mastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
rnkburg

I have a 110 gallon fuel tank in front of mine, no worries there those dog boxes will fit.

rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Htfiremedic

We crate the dog in the 5er. Then if we want, she can sit in the crate, outside at the camp sight.
Htfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
SLIMSHADIE

Debbie, it depends on wants and needs, but from experience I'll give my 2 cents. My buddie and I have sister TT. I have the Laredo 291 and he has the Springdale 298? I have had mine 3 years, 2 girls (now 12 & 15) & 1 dog. With 3 bunks they alternate bringing a friend. In the 3 years, they have never bucked us on going camping, including the dog. He wines will I hook up, thinking we are going to forget him. I have even took a nap in one of the bunks, so I dont know about growing out of it unless your a little too round. The Laredo is easy to clean because of the smooth outer fiberglass walls. Easier to was also. I pull it with a Dodge 3500 Diesel single rear wheels. Hitch is the Reese Dual Cam 1200/12000. I dont even hardly now its back there.
My buddie with the Springdale has 3 kids (now 12,15,17) and 1 smaller dog. He originally pulled it with a Chevy 1500 and soon learned it was too much TT. Traded it for a Chevy 2500 diesel 2 wheel drive. He's real happy now, NO white knuckle driving and the wind pushing him into different lanes. The Springdale with the siding is hard too clean and/or wax. He also doesnt have a pantry for his food? Kind of strange. His kids love it.
I short we both love the outside kitchen, a must. The slide out on the Springdale 303 would be nice for the kids on rainy days. You'll have some.
Happy kids, happy parents.
Personally I would get the Laredo 303TG with a 2500 HD diesel with a Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer hitch, next time I would get a TT. That model came out a year after mine But my next purchase will be a 5ver Toyhauler.

Food for thought. Good Luck!