Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2022, 10:40 AM   #1
Lnm6170

12 volt refrigerator

I have a 2021 keystone passport 229rk. My question is to leave the 12volt refrigerator running or off during storage ?
Old 10-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnm6170 View Post
I have a 2021 keystone passport 229rk. My question is to leave the 12volt refrigerator running or off during storage ?
If your plugged into shore power you could leave it on. If not NO, your batteries WILL be dead quickly if no generator, shore power, a huge bank of batteries or plenty of solar.
If not plugging in I'd suggest either removing the batteries to your garage & use a battery tender checking water levels & topping off with distilled water monthly or at least disconnect the negative cable from the battery going directly to ground.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
Lnm6170

Sorry yes I am plugged in to shore power. Just woundering what best for the refrigerator. Off and doors open or on and running like normal
Old 10-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Just remember that if you're plugged into shore power, the battery is also being maintained by the converter/charger. Don't forget to periodically check your battery/batteries for electrolyte levels.

Also, remember that "technically speaking" the 12 VDC refrigerator is very similar to a 120 VAC compressor driven refrigerator. Both need to transfer heat from inside the refrigerator to the trailer cabin interior. Doing that requires the compressor to work. The hotter the trailer interior the harder the compressor has to work. It doesn't make a significant difference this time of year in most locations, but in the summer, storing a "closed up trailer that's sitting in the hot sunshine" can dramatically affect the compressor workload and even damage the refrigerator... So, keep that in your decision making. The Keystone Owner's Manual states something along the lines of "If the trailer interior is greater than 110F, either turn off the refrigerator or turn on the air conditioner to cool the trailer interior.

I'd say it's probably OK in moderate temperatures for a couple of days between trips, but if the trailer is not going to be used for a prolonged time (a couple of weeks or more) it might be less stressful on the refrigerator system to just turn it off and open the door so mold won't grow.

I'd certainly not leave it operating through winter storage or, for me, if I don't plan to use it "within a week or so"... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 02:27 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnm6170 View Post
Sorry yes I am plugged in to shore power. Just woundering what best for the refrigerator. Off and doors open or on and running like normal
If not planning on using it regularly I'd shut off the fridge & prop the doors open. Leave the rv connected to shore power to keep the batteries safely maintained & as already stated check the water levels in the batteries about monthly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If not planning on using it regularly I'd shut off the fridge & prop the doors open. Leave the rv connected to shore power to keep the batteries safely maintained & as already stated check the water levels in the batteries about monthly.
I would agree with this, the advantage of a 12 volt compressor is that it will cool down in just a couple hours.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:21 AM   #7
NH_Bulldog

As John mentioned, a 12v refrigerator has no outside venting, so all heat from operation is released into the trailer interior, unlike a gas/electric refrigerator which vents heat to the exterior. You can leave a gas/electric fridge running all the time (mine runs non-stop from April to November) but if I had a 12v fridge or a residential fridge, I would consider leaving it off if I wasn’t going anywhere for a couple of weeks
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:31 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
As John mentioned, a 12v refrigerator has no outside venting, so all heat from operation is released into the trailer interior, unlike a gas/electric refrigerator which vents heat to the exterior. You can leave a gas/electric fridge running all the time (mine runs non-stop from April to November) but if I had a 12v fridge or a residential fridge, I would consider leaving it off if I wasn’t going anywhere for a couple of weeks
So they don’t install the exterior vents with new trailers with residential or 12 volt compressor units?
The instructions for our JC Refrigeration unit specifically stated to leave vents open to dissipate the heat.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:51 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

Talking

I have yet to see any factory installed 12v compressor fridge or residential fridge have exterior venting. The one in your house doesn’t have one either right?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
Old 10-27-2022, 04:57 AM   #10
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
So they don’t install the exterior vents with new trailers with residential or 12 volt compressor units?
No exterior vents on any of them I've seen.
Our Cougar 24RDS does not have any outside vents, they are not needed.

I also turn the unit off between camping trips, with doors left open.
It only takes a few hours to cool down ready to go.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:10 AM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
I have yet to see any factory installed 12v compressor fridge or residential fridge have exterior venting. The one in your house doesn’t have one either right?
Well the heat removed from the air inside the refer has to be expelled some place, and dissipated. It can’t be very well dissipated into a closed space, likely vented to the interior of the trailer.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:57 AM   #12
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
It can’t be very well dissipated into a closed space, likely vented to the interior of the trailer.
Exactly! Which is in itself an enclosed space, so that’s why it is not advisable to leave running for extended periods with high ambient heat.