Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Trinibob

Does keystone have dealer standards

Just wondering if the dealer refuses to do warranty on a keystone trailer that was purchased from them can think lose their dealership standing with the company?
I seen some post regarding these typs of problems with dealerships?
if a ford I bought new in Michigan broke down in Ohio that I bought new in Michigan I am certain the dealership in Ohio would have to fix it if it was under warranty?

https://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/...20the%20years/
Trinibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
x96mnn

I think in a perfect world the answer is yes but most dealers have multiple lines so a threat from keystone may not mean a lot. The best influence I feel us rvers have is each other and word of mouth.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
billstuart

Having spent a number of years in dealership Service Management, I can tell you that your Ford dealer - or any other auto/light truck dealer for that matter - is required by the terms of their agreement (contract) with the manufacturer to perform warranty repairs on any vehicle model they are eligible to sell, regardless of where (in the U.S) the vehicle was purchased. Their agreement also spells out how the manufacturer will reimburse the dealer - parts & labor - for warranty repairs. Warranty work, while it generally pays less than retail work is none the less a profit center for an auto dealer and most savvy dealers and their service management staff are happy to see that work in their shops. Very seldom is pre-approval by the factory required before repairs can be performed.

Unless RV manufacturers are somehow exempt from the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, I don't understand how they and their dealers are not required to treat warranty work the same way. But when I read the lousy excuse for an owner's manual that came with our new Alpine, Keystone states that only the selling dealer can be held responsible (contractually, I assume) for performing warranty repairs on Keystone products. No doubt, there are some savvy RV dealers who are eager to earn your service business and hopefully your next purchase, who will perform warranty work on units they didn't sell. In speaking with the sales manager at our selling dealership, he indicated that they are not reimbursed for all warranty repairs. Apparently Keystone considers some warranty work part of the cost of doing business for their dealers.

If you ever get into a situation with Keystone where you feel they are not living up to the terms of their warranty, it might help to ask the person you are speaking to "isn't your warranty subject to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act?"

Happy Trails,
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
Trinibob

Thanks bill your right my wife works at a dealership for ford and let me tell you a large portion of their work is warranty. I was just hoping that there was some type of a warranty repair obligationg that the industry as a whole were held to buy.
A&B camperland of midland has a good rep and sue and all the people are very nice to work with although they have no knowledge of any Lippert frame repairs ever being done near us I am confident I will be happy with them. If I am not you here on this forum will be the first to know.
This will be our first new camper Wish me luck are walkthrough is tonight at 5!

https://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/...20the%20years/
Trinibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Yak

They are not "dealers" but have a sales agreement with the parent company and are not required to do warranty work as auto dealers are. An auto dealer is a franchise bought from the parent company.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
mhs4771

I will tell you from personal experience that although an auto dealer (in this case Chevy) does have to do warranty work on cars sold by dealers, you may find yourself at the bottom of the priority list. I had a Chevy dealer tell me to take my car back to the Dealer I purchased from if I wanted it repaired in a reasonable period of time. As for my RV, I have yet to find an RV Dealership Service Department that I would trust to change a light bulb. Just my feelings.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Exsailor

Warranty

Maybe im just lucky but American RV in olive branch
MS has provided great service, warranty and repairs. I do
believe that the best recourse when treated poorly by a dealer
is to be very public about it. On these pages and to
keystone. Reputation goes a long way.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana