Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2022, 03:44 PM   #1
Berdan

Power for Ham Radio equipment

Yesterday I installed a RigRunner 4010S DC power strip into the cubby hole of my entertainment console. I wired to the spare 30 AMP DC output of the power center. I can now plug in my Ham Radio equipment and operate in the dining slideout. The power converter is a little noisy RF wise but I can shut off the converter and operate directly off of battery power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220522_162931081.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	39858  

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
2020 Silverado LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
Berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:37 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berdan View Post
Yesterday I installed a RigRunner 4010S DC power strip into the cubby hole of my entertainment console. I wired to the spare 30 AMP DC output of the power center. I can now plug in my Ham Radio equipment and operate in the dining slideout. The power converter is a little noisy RF wise but I can shut off the converter and operate directly off of battery power.
It's been a while since I played with electronics in RVs and converters have come a long way (I HOPE) but I had only found 1 source of clean power that fed the factory installed radio. Any other circuit that I wanted to tap into always needed a choke to avoid RF from the converter. Perhaps converter technology has not changed. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:42 AM   #3
Berdan

Hank, The technology is there but the manufacturers want to cut costs so they don't incorporate adequate input and output filtering and therefore cite FCC class B commercial specifications instead of residential spec. I installed a ferrite CM choke on the AC input which helps to keep the AC line from radiating. Unfortunately filtering the outputs will require modification of the converter assembly which I am not quite motivated to do at the moment.

Brien

2015 Cougar 22RBIWE
2020 Silverado LT Crew Cab 5.3L 4WD
Berdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:32 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Brien, My amperage requirement was much lower than yours so I simply taped off of a nearby lighting circuit, added a choke on dc line and fed the radio. Static gone on shore power or off. Used the same method on old cars with generators and tube radios. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, radio