Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
Jlarson

Trade in or sell?

We have 2019 Bullet 221rbs and want to upgrade to a larger one. Is it better to sell ourselves or trade in for a new one?
Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #2
Northofu1

Depends on how well/successful you are with selling things, or you could take it in for an appraisal on a trade in. At least the trade in would give you an idea of where to start if deciding to sell private.
Not sure how it works in Duluth (MN?), but in Canada the trade in is taken off the selling price of new unit and you only pay tax on the remainder. I have only ever traded in one and they gave me what I paid for mine (I bought it used).
Good Luck either way

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
We have 2019 Bullet 221rbs and want to upgrade to a larger one. Is it better to sell ourselves or trade in for a new one?
Do you owe anything on your current trailer? Do you have a clear title or lien release?
Your going to get much more money if you sell it yourself but will have to deal with weeding out the knuckleheads that want to waste your time.
My neighbor sold his older fifth wheel recently and it was faded pretty bad..didn’t look all that great…it sold almost immediately.
He was lucky

I’d clean it up really good and advertise it for a week on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace…do a internet search for your exact year and model trailer to see what they are bringing…find a price somewhere in the middle that your comfortable with and don’t be afraid to say no if someone try’s to lowball you.
It’s pretty much a sellers market.
Also don’t take any cashiers checks unless you are with the prospective buyer WITH THEM in the bank while it’s being issued.
Cash is always good but make sure the cash doesn’t look like Monopoly money lol

If you go to trade then work out the price of the new trailer BEFORE you mention about a trade….otherwise they may just tack on the amazing deal they gave you for your old trailer…onto the price of the new one
Old 09-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
Canonman

Just a thought, I believe the sales tax is calculated on the "final" sale price of the new trailer. There might be some savings if say the new TT is $30k but the trade in is $15k which would make the final taxable sale $15k. That would be about $1100 in our county.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL9186.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	36031  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote