Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2021, 08:01 AM   #1
cannondale73

Hose leaking behind toilet

We have a 2021 wolf pup. We have been using it since may with no issues. This past weekend while visiting our site (we have it parked at a seasonal), we noticed that we had some water around the toilet. Cleaned up and monitored it. Nothing, then randomly it happened again later in the day. I tried to troubleshoot it, it doesn't happen when I flush and I can not replicate the problem.. I did come to the conclusion that it is from the water hose connection, it felt wet but why? I thought possibly condensation, nope. it stays dry for hours then randomly there is a puddle. The only thing i am 95% sure of is it happens when I use the hot water heater (am and pm for dishes and showers). However I am new to RVing, and I can not see how the two would be related as it is strictly cold water going into the toilet.

Has anyone had this issue? As I was driving home, I thought would it be water pressure? if it is to high or even slightly high would it cause the leaking? ( it was on 61 when i turned off the water)

Thanks in advance...
cannondale73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a "rubber cone washer" in the female end of the water connection fitting that screws to the toilet flush valve. If that rubber cone washer is deformed or damaged, water can leak past it to the threads and drip onto the floor.

It "could be" as simple as a "deformed cone washer that seals with 40 PSI but leaks at 50 PSI"... throughout the day, depending on water use in the campground, the water pressure will change, sometimes "DRAMATICALLY"....

One campground we visit in Marquette MI has water pressure during the day that's around 60-80 PSI and at night can creep up to well over 130 PSI. There's an industrial complex that primarily works "day shift" located next to the campground. When they close and stop using water, the pressure in that entire part of town increases....

If you don't have one, you might want to consider a "real water pressure regulator" (not a water volume restrictor)....

Here's one example of what a pressure regulator is: https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Press...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

And a couple of "what NOT to buy": https://www.amazon.com/Hourleey-Hi-F...%2C200&sr=8-41
https://www.amazon.com/Hourleey-Pres...s%2C200&sr=8-8

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
cannondale73

Smile

I actually have the one you recommended. The PSI has been since we opened the camper around 50, but this visit it was around 60. so i will check that out and lower it. My thinking was the pressure would go down as we got more campers, but clearly it has gone up with more campers. Do campgrounds increase the pressure as they get more campers? Again, new to this type of camping. thank you for your advice, I will look at it when we are down there on Friday.

and how the heck does anyone do work behind a camper toilet to begin with. lol i have tiny hands, and even I have a hard time. lol
Old 07-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Depending on how things are situated it can be hard to get behind the toilet. I have, on some occasions, just removed the toilet if the work was going to be a bit involved and the area really cramped. While in there checking that cone washer I would suggest giving some thought to installing an inline 1/4 turn on/off valve and a residential flexible connection hose to the toilet. Makes toilet repairs much simpler going forward.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
cannondale73

oh, yes I was thinking of is there a shut off that I can install. so thanks
Old 07-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale73 View Post
oh, yes I was thinking of is there a shut off that I can install. so thanks
You can get a SharkBite slip on or crimp on valve; just cut the pex and either push it on or crimp it on. You can get the valve with the hose or you can just get the valve and then buy the hose length that works best for you. IIRC the combo package has a 12" hose.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
Sarge2

I was having an issue with the flush valve leaking / dripping some.. it was suggested that I check the valve where it attaches to the toilet for only one bolt where there was supposed to be two... yep only one... replaced the missing bolt..no more leaks.. Bob's your uncle..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
Brentw

I too had the flush valve spring a microscopic leak in the seam. A very fine mist came out occasionally. Local rv dealer stocked them, said he sells plenty of them.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, toilet