Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2021, 08:29 PM   #1
AndrewCarruthers

12v distribution panel 7 Way help

As I swung the Cougar into our parking spot in front of the house, our 7 Way cord got trapped and cut by the hitch… great way to end an amazing weekend
So now I get to replace the cord. When I opened the distribution panel, I don’t understand how the cord is connected (Picture attached)
Anyone familiar with this panel or where I could find some more info?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17FB3456-BEA0-441E-905F-82CABCC2B27F.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	34348  
AndrewCarruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:22 PM   #2
B-O-B'03

It looks like they crimped two wires into the connectors, instead of using a separate connector for each wire... must have saved a couple of nickels by doing that.

I would just cut the wire from the old umbilical cord and add a new connector to the wires from the new umbilical.

-Brian
Old 06-29-2021, 04:31 AM   #3
ChuckS

The terminal strip is just being used as an organizer and junction point for he 7 way connections form the two vehicle and the actual wires running to the tail lights, brakes etc....

You could put new terminal ends on the new seven way cable your replacing running from the truck to the junction box and attach each to the appropriate color coded wire on its terminal ...

just nip off the existing wires coming in from the old seven way cable and attach each color coded wire to that strip terminal... keeping colors paired...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:01 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Do you plan on keeping the camper for a few years? IMHO do it right, do it once. Looking at the picture that's a ridiculous way the factory did that. If it were mine, I would cut the umbilical where the black sheathing is stripped from the 7 wires. Pull the wires you just cut out of the way while still connected to the studs. Strip the outer sheathing of the new umbilical the same distance as the original. You will need a socket or nutdriver that fits the studs, a GOOD QUALITY wire stripper and a crimping tool. This is not the place to cheap out and grab a tool from the dollar bin. Same thing with the ring terminals. Go to HD or Lowes and get good terminals. Don’t buy the 50 pack from Amazon or Ebay.

Now, ONE WIRE AT A TIME, disconnect a wires frome one stud. Cut the ring terminal off. Strip back the wire insulation the appropriate length for the ring terminal and crimp the terminal on, one for each wire (the umbilical and the trailer wire). After crimping on the new ring terminal give it a good tug. It should not slide or come off the wire. Reinstall that wire and move to the next.

In my opinion splicing the wires together with butt splices or God forbid wire nuts is just inviting a future problem. Don't add another 14 wires under questionable connections, especially when you are depending on those connections to stop tons of trailer and being visible to other drivers.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
ajlight

I had to put a longer cord on mine and I used this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...375601101.html

with a 6 foot cord. Really easy than trying to use the trailer junction box. Mounted it underneath the bottles.
Old 07-04-2021, 06:23 AM   #6
Summergirl

We did the same thing. I ordered one from Amazon complete with the junction box and then just matched up the wires. It was an easy fix.