Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2021, 06:53 AM   #1
Dollarbill60

Not one but two!

So, purchased my Sprinter 30RL in January, live in Indiana and still work full time so just now getting active with the Fiver. Prepping for the first pull in March I check tire pressures and installing my tire pressure monitors and find one tire down to 20 psi, basically flat. Bring all tires up to 80 psi and monitor over night and the suspect wheel is down to 65 psi by morning, all other wheel are good. Pull the wheel to see if i have something in the tire and can find nothing hitting it with a soap solution. Start spraying down the wheel itself and discover a pin hole in the casting of the rim! So I take wheel back to the Dealer, we laugh about it, Keystone says they will not warranty it and to go to the wheel manufacture and they did send a new rim so good to go Right? Pick up the Fiver this weekend to prep for a short trip next weekend, turn on the tire pressure monitor and another wheel is down to 61 psi. So i am thinking no way, i have to have something in the tire. Nope, spray down this wheel and find another pinhole in the casting on another rim! Thought it was worth sharing and see if anyone else has seen this.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:47 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

What brand wheels are you having issues with? Keystone may have changed contractors again. They were using Sendel wheels, which are a good quality. Now that they're using "High Spec tires" they may also be buying the "package wheel/tire assembly"... I bought a utility trailer a year or so back and it had "Lion wheels and tires" on it. So far, with the light loads I carry on that trailer, no problems, but I'd watch them closely if they were on a heavy travel trailer.

We may be in the middle of another "lowest bid/lower quality" issue.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
Lee

Hi,

I had the exact same thing happen to one of the wheels on my 2013 21RBS. Pin hole in casting where spoke met wheel body.

Keystone told me to go to wheel manufacture, SenDel, .... who told me "so sorry".

$105 later I had a new wheel.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0428171218a.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	32922  

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

I had the exact same thing happen to one of the wheels on my 2013 21RBS. Pin hole in casting where spoke met wheel body.

Keystone told me to go to wheel manufacture, SenDel, .... who told me "so sorry".

Lee
I have no idea why picture is upside-down as it was correct when I uploaded it ;-)

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #5
Dollarbill60

They got the wheel manufacture to warranty the first one, they have stepped up so far. I mean i have 31 miles on a brand new Fiver. My worry is I am chasing issues with the other two.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Hi,

Lee
When did that happen? 8 years ago? Yesterday? Or sometime inbetween?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #7
Lee

Flybouy,

Not sure the relevance of the question but,... it was about ~3yrs after purchase.

Re-read my post... I was not complaining that Keystone or SenDel replace the wheel for free. I was just stating that the same issue had happened to me as the OP.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-12-2021, 05:18 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Flybouy,

Not sure the relevance of the question but,... it was about ~3yrs after purchase.

Re-read my post... I was not complaining that Keystone or SenDel replace the wheel for free. I was just stating that the same issue had happened to me as the OP.
"Hi,

Lee
No need to get defensive or snarky. The way I read the bolded section makes me think you were looking for a warranty replacement. Did I mis interpret that some how?The relevance is that readers should be aware that it's an issue that can happen from day one or can happen 3 years later so no one should become complacent thinking all is well as it's been good for some time, Thanks for posting back.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote