Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
f6bits

2590bh/2650bh ladder idea

As kid #1 gets older, I’m trying to figure a way to add a ladder for the upper bunk. And a new idea just hit me:

The wall to the left of the bathroom door is about a foot wide, maybe a little less. Even though the thermostat is there, what do you guys think about mounting a narrow ladder to that wall? That will keep the ladder out of the floor area and also won’t block access to the lower bunk.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Halibutman214

I would be very hesitant about putting any kind of weight on that wall. While I haven't a clue what's behind it experience has taught me that stuff like this is not a good idea. There's a reason this unit is light. Over time I think it would cause you more problems than it's worth. My youngest wanted the top bunk and she just steps on the bottom to get in but a smaller child I don't know. Good luck.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
randy69

f6bits

I have a aluminum ladder that came out of my old toyhauler. I have it in storage. since your in southern cal. You might be close, I'm in Ontario,cal
It's free if you want it.
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I would suspect that the wall is essentially "hollow" - faced with luan ply and I wouldn't suggest mounting a ladder on just the luan. If you can find studs to support the ladder on both sides of the wall that might be an option but even at that I would be really hesistant to put a ladder there.
What about using a small, short, light-weight aluminum ladder or build one that has "hooks" at the top to go over and around the top bunk bed rail?
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
f6bits

Either end of that wall looks somewhat stable. The left being the corner that wraps around into the bunk, and the right as the door jamb for the bathroom. I’m hoping that a combination of good floor mount and careful side mounting will provide enough strength. Granted, I’ve not been to the trailer to check this out, and it’s not optimal.

Another point is that in my TT (the attached picture is from Keystone.com), I have rail fences on the bunks to kiddos don’t fall out. A typical hooked ladder won’t work well with the rails, but I may make a double-hooked vertical ladder that hangs on the lips of both bunks. That is, if those lips aren’t going to rip free when kiddo uses the ladder.

I’ll take another look, and since I was considering a somewhat narrow ladder, maybe I can make one suitably narrow for the front of the bunks that’s usable without substantially blocking the lower bunk.

randy69, thanks for the offer, and you’re about a half hour away, but I plan on custom building a wood ladder.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
hankaye

f6bits, Howdy;

Be careful, I beleive the 'studs' for the interior walls are only 2X2's.
You may want to explor the interior by carefully removing the corner trim and
the 1/8th in thick luan paneling. You could then beef-up the wall some before
creating your 'Masterpiece'...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote