Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
Isaac

New member - attempting to work remotely from 5th wheel

So, I'm tired of seeing the same four walls and grass so I'm loading out my 3-year-old 5th wheel for the first time to take it on a long trip (months). So far I'm finding 30 things that need fixing and no space.

If anyone has tips on organizing basic things or other useful information for remote work on the road please feel free to post back.

I'm planning on a good deal of stays in remote areas where I'm out of the way of others to avoid COVID related issues. There's tons of DNR land on my way south and I carry a generator.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Good luck with your plans. There have been other similar threads about this subject and they all seem to boil down to "How do you plan on connecting to internet??" Even in sites with full hook ups wi-fi does not seem to be very reliable.
Do a search for this subject and you may avoid some headaches in the future.

Travel safely and be sure to let us know how things work out, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Year and model of fiver would help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
Frank G

Travel Rules;
1) If it doesn't fit in a Sea Bag it's not going.
2) Every town has a Dollar General and or Walmart for supplies.
End of conversation...then the wife showed up.

Basic WiFi rule, if your out of 4g your out of luck. Has Hughes developed a portable unit?

Good Luck on your travels.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
So, I'm tired of seeing the same four walls and grass so I'm loading out my 3-year-old 5th wheel for the first time to take it on a long trip (months). So far I'm finding 30 things that need fixing and no space.

If anyone has tips on organizing basic things or other useful information for remote work on the road please feel free to post back.

I'm planning on a good deal of stays in remote areas where I'm out of the way of others to avoid COVID related issues. There's tons of DNR land on my way south and I carry a generator.
Just a couple of thoughts. If your primarily looking at staying "off the grid" that means using cell service for the internet. That may be a challenge that others with experience in dry camping can address.

Thoughts on Covid sequestering. You are going to need to buy food and fuel more often than you do now. Campers aren't known for having a lot of storage space, especially in the fridge. You are going to need to get water and get rid of the waste water. I don't think you'll be avoiding people as much as you may initially imagine.

Lot's to think about. My suggestion is to camp out in your camper at home or in the storage lot first. Then you'll find out what you need and if it's what you really want before you get out in "the middle of nowhere".

Good luck, hope it works out for you.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #6
notanlines

Isaac, we're all excited for you. I concur with everything said so far. Hand sanitizer, latex gloves, clean masks, and a little common sense will go a long way. You HAVE to be around people no matter what you do. When out of propane there are no self-serve outlets. Same way with groceries more or less. Maybe find a reasonable, small RV park with full hook-ups, keep to yourself, and don't be to timid to let people know that the 6' rule is a good thing.
You wont be REQUIRED to bring every little thing you need. DW and I are planning a 3 month escape to Alaska again next summer (Please Canadians, let us in. We're two of the good guys) and we're only towing a TT 29'. We just have to do the best we can. Anything you leave behind is available on the road.
And like Chuckster asked, keep us informed.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Cbrez

You should consider a cell phone signal booster. You will likely find yourself in situations where you have a cell phone signal, but it’s too weak to effectively use the internet. The cell phone signal booster can make the difference between having internet connectivity and not having it.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, new member, remote