Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
Dave B

One more BBQ question

I have searched and read everything I can find on the forum but I’m still not able to get a BBQ to work properly off the low pressure line on our trailer. Hopefully one of you gas gurus can provide some insight. Here’s what I’ve done so far.

I bought and installed one of the straight QC valves onto our old BBQ, but the flame was still extremely low and it wouldn’t get nearly hot enough to cook with.

Assuming that the old BBQ for some reason just wasn’t meant to be configured this way, I bought a new one that’s specifically built for low pressure and a straight connect to the trailer (an Aussie grill from Camping World). I tried it last night but the flame was still very low, it would easily blow out and it would barely heat to 300 degrees. Grrrrr!

Per suggestions in other posts I also tried shutting off the valves on the propane tanks, and then slowly opening them back up but that still didn’t help.

The other appliances (hot water, furnace and fridge) all seem to work just fine so I’m assuming that the main tank regulator is okay.

Is it possible that there’s some kind of restriction/blockage in the supply line to the BBQ that’s causing the problem? Is there a way for an individual to easily test that? We have the RV set up at a park for another month yet and towing it to a propane dealer or RV repair isn’t an option right now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
ajk170

Dave B - I wish I could be of some use to you on this one, but I'm a little limited. What I do know is this: my experience (as limited as it is) tells me that a 15psi regulator is normally needed coming off the propane tanks tee fitting that runs to your connection. This lower pressure prevents any oil residue that can build up inside the line and your BBQ's regulator. Have you ever used this line previously for anything else and is there a valve at the beginning of the BBQ line from the propane tanks that allows you to shut it on or off from the rest of the propane? If there is not an on/off valve from the rest of the propane and propane can go into that line all the time when nothing is connected AND there is not a seperate regulator, it's possible that there is an oil build up in the line that's causing that problem.

It's also very possible that I am completely wrong and it's something else.
-Andy
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
ajk170

Dave B- does your Aussie grill have a regulator on it, I tried looking it up on the web and not having a lot of luck seeing what your new grill looks like. I'm wondering if you have an additional regulator on the grill itself, which will kill your propane. Plus, If you didn't remove the LP regulator on your former grill and simply screwed a QC onto the regulator, that too would kill your propane. I assume you modified your former grill by removing the regulator and added the necessary 1/8" to 1/4" adaptors to the QC fitting and then plugged the hose into your campers QC port and then opened all the valves. If you did all that, then there could be oil in the main line or some type of blockage. If you have regulators on your grills, that's probably your problem.

You've probably seen these but just in case:

Old 08-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
ajk170

One way to trouble shoot the line (although may not be easy) is to disconnect from manifold and hook a new temp line into your grill. Not sure how easy or cheap that would be to do that, but it would eliminate the line and if your low pressure grill work on the temp line, then it's your OEM line. If it doesn't work with the temp line, clearly it's the regulator/manifold or the grill.

I realize these are pretty simple ideas and ones you've probably already thought of, if I think of anything else-
Old 08-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
66joej

What ajk170 said. Took me some time to figure this out also but you must remove the BBQ regulator to use the QC.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
ajk170

66joej - Thanks for validating my logic train! Sometime's it's off the rails! As an aside- I love your avitar! I always feel like he's the one giving the advice!
Old 08-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
Dave B

One more BBQ question

Thanks to all that replied. The problem is now solved and sometimes it’s the simplest things that cause the trouble.

First, there was no regulator on the new BBQ and I had removed the regulator from the old one, so that wasn’t the issue.

I finally started backtracking the low flow starting at the BBQ fitting. I found there was hardly any gas getting through to it. Long story short, I ultimately found a tiny, very thin spider web down deep inside one of the QC fittings on the hose between the trailer and the BBQ. Took it apart, cleaned it all out and wonder of wonders, gas flowed and the BBQ heated right up.

Hard to imagine how a tiny critter could have caused that much trouble. Oh well, I guess that now we have a backup BBQ. [emoji849]
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote