Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
phenrichs

Thumbs up Brand new Sprinter delam but great dealer support

We picked up our brand new sprinter saturday and went over the whole thing. Didn't notice it there but when we got home we found a bubble in the rear exterior wall. Scared the life out of me because I have heard delamination means a new wall. Called the dealer immediately but no service guys there anymore. She made a note and I called back yesterday. Service manager came to my house to inspect and take pictures while I was at work. I called him later and he said unfortunately it is delam and he had already sent info to Keystone and started the warranty process for us. Good news is that the rear wall is made differently than the sides so they don't have to replace the whole wall just the outer skin. He said it is cosmetic, go ahead and enjoy the camper and he will call to schedule repair when they receive the parts.

I love these guys and can't wait till next weekend to get out camping in it.:thumbs up:
phenrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Got a pic of this. And can you expand on your comments that the rear wall is differently constructed? This is new to me.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
phenrichs

Below is a photo of the delam bubble. The difference in the walls is that the side walls are all vacuum bonded. Basically they take all the layers and press them together to form one solid structure. The rear wall is not. It is assembled in parts. The fiberglass layer is bonded (laminated) to a layer of what they call Luon. This layer is installed over the wall structure and is held in place by the outer wall seals and the window and other items bolted together. This makes a sort of free floating surface so it can appear wavy and it will expand and retract with temperature changes. It is rare that it will delaminate but is not impossible.

It is very apparent in the photo.

phenrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Thanks for the description and photo. That makes sense with the rear wall being constructed that way when you consider they have the same campers sold with and without a rear "cap".
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote