Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
BigD

Raptor Garage Floor

We just purchased a new 3602 Raptor toy hauler. The garage floor is stated to be 1" thick. On our first trip back to the RV Park our portable Honda generator fell thru the subfloor. The dealer sent an RV tech to inspect and he discovered that the floor was actually 1/2" OSB. The person I spoke to at Keystone said the floor should be 1" and that may have been overlooked. So I feel much better now that I have that explanation. At least it was good for a laugh.

I am very concerned that my 800lb Goldwing may also go thru the floor or that the rail tie downs will pull out of the subfloor.

The conversations I have had with the dealer and Keystone don't give me much confidence that anything will be done soon. Now, I guess I will find out just how much Keystone, or the dealer stand behind their products.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
soundman
Permanent User Ban

Over Looked?

If the floor is supposed to be 1" thick, and in the manufacture process they installed 1/2" thick (was wood) plywood, what else has been over looked in the manufacture process.
soundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman View Post
If the floor is supposed to be 1" thick, and in the manufacture process they installed 1/2" thick (was wood) plywood, what else has been over looked in the manufacture process.
So far not much other than small adjustment items. From what I have heard from Keystone they have been very understanding and willing to do whatever it takes to make it right. They are picking up the trailer at my home and taking it to the factory to do the necessary modifications.

Time will tell.......
Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
hoffbrew

I am glad to hear Keystone is taking care of this problem. I have overloaded my garage for sure and have had no problems, but will be very careful from now on. I was told NOT to hose out the garage for cleaning, don't want to sog up floor, so I air it with the compressor then damp mop after each use.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
rwdl60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
We just purchased a new 3602 Raptor toy hauler. The garage floor is stated to be 1" thick.

I am very concerned that my 800lb Goldwing may also go thru the floor or that the rail tie downs will pull out of the subfloor.
What year is your 3602? We have a 2008 3602, and when I installed four 4 6,000 lbs, 4in radius, tie downs using thick metal backing plates, I found our floor to be only 3/4 ODS.

Since the floor is so thin, I have installed a extra 1in thick sheet of plywood, over the existing 3/4 ODS floor.

I hold the extra 4 foot by 4 foot sheet of plywood to the floor with two large bolts I added, at the very end of the camper, at the corners of the rear garage door, so the sheet does not move around when my Goldwing is loaded or unloaded.

I have carried my 958lbs Goldwing for over a year now (4,000 miles), and have not seen a real problem yet.

To all those who would like to know, the 3602 garage floor is not like most toy haulers. The garage floor is covering in linoleum, not plastic, like the rest of the camper. The garage floor is simply a extension of the rest of the camper.

I have not detected my tie downs pulling up on the floor yet, but my front Condor Wheel Chuck bracket is putting a dent in the floor when I ram the bike home. The minor dent (black scuff mark) is hidden below my U-lounge, when the U-lounge is lowered to the floor.
rwdl60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman View Post
Would like to know what their plan is for this repair. When I had water damage and told them I wanted the floor replaced, the dealer told me that was a VERY involved process, as when the RV is built, they put the deck down first, cover the whole thing with linoleum and build the rest on top. To replace the floor, they would have had to remove the side walls. Can't see how there is going to be any more support if they just stick a piece of plywood in there, or how the slide out is going to clear it. Plus, you would have different floor levels between livind area and garage.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
BigD

Our toy hauler is a 2010 model

They are going to remove and replace the entire floor in the garage with 1” OSB, which is what they use on all toy haulers except the 3602 and two others that have single wide doors on the back or on the side. Cross blocking will be installed at the wall line to allow for attachment of the new subfloor. They are going to remove the small slide in the garage and all the cabinets. The graphics on the exterior will be replaced so they align with the others when the slide is moved up to accommodate the new floor thickness. Their problem is that the brochure for their toy haulers clearly shows a 1” floor. This floor might be OK for a dirt bike or some light cruiser but not a full dresser like a Goldwing or a Harley that both weigh in the neighborhood of 800lbs..

As far as the factory furnished tie down rings are concerned, they are useless. If they were able to swivel in the direction of the pressure from the strap that would help but that’s not the case. They are fastened to the floor with 2 #12 screws, not machine nuts and bolts thru the floor. My previous toy hauler used the same rings and I discovered that the ring itself is not welded and that pressure to the side simply pulls the ring apart or in the case of Keystone simply pull the entire assembly out of the subfloor. There are some other tie down rings that I used in place of the factory tie downs on my other trailer but they were $60 each and used three machine bolts thru the subfloor. This time I am going with the slotted tie down rail along with a wheel chock.

It seems as though Keystone has determined that the typical family has a couple of dirt bikes and a quad but there are some of us that like to take our cruisers.

This is getting to long…………………

Dick
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMike View Post
Would like to know what their plan is for this repair. When I had water damage and told them I wanted the floor replaced, the dealer told me that was a VERY involved process, as when the RV is built, they put the deck down first, cover the whole thing with linoleum and build the rest on top. To replace the floor, they would have had to remove the side walls. Can't see how there is going to be any more support if they just stick a piece of plywood in there, or how the slide out is going to clear it. Plus, you would have different floor levels between livind area and garage.
They are going to use a hardwood transition like what you would use in a house between floors of different levels. In this case the piece is about 2' 6"
long due to the second bathroom in the rear.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
antiqfreq

BigD,

I hope you are getting your problems resolved.

Luckily we have not had any problems with our fiver that my DH can't
resolve himself.

I can imagine the frustration with a problem trailer!

I am hoping they fix everything to your satisfaction.

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
beemerguy

measure thickness Raptor floor

As you can tell from my sign beemerguy I have a heavy bike also. I just bought a 2010 Raptor 300MP and when you walk into the inside door to the garage, the floor squeaks in a few locations. The floor is covered with a rubber coating.
How do I check the thickness without drilling a hole all the way threw the floor.
Thanks, ron
beemerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerguy View Post
As you can tell from my sign beemerguy I have a heavy bike also. I just bought a 2010 Raptor 300MP and when you walk into the inside door to the garage, the floor squeaks in a few locations. The floor is covered with a rubber coating.
How do I check the thickness without drilling a hole all the way threw the floor.
Thanks, ron
Well, what kind of tie downs do you have in the back? Some of these came with D rings, some came with nothing. If you have D-rings, you could unscrew one of the bolts and check it that way. If you have E-track, you'd have to remove the bolts and subtract the thickness of the track. As far as I know, there is no place where the floor is exposed so you can see the thickness. FWIW, these things all seem to squeak a lot. Had mine back 3 times and it still squeaks.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
beemerguy

Raptor Floor

Thanks Mike for the quick reply. Yes I have D-Rings and will check thickness.
Maybe I'm a little pickey but don't want to have the problems others are having. Called Customer Relations and they said to check the underside, but as you said you can't see where the garage and trailer attach from the underside.
Thanks again, ron
Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
hoffbrew

I have removed a screw and it is definitely 1" thick. I have not encountered any squeaks, seems pretty solid.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
prov431

Sorry to hear about your troubles...I was considering a toy hauler model, but ended up not going that route.
Regarding your tie down options, you might want to consider E-track, which is what most racers use in their trailers. There are plenty of attachments for the system to suit your needs.
Here is a link:
http://www.etrailer.com/c-ET.htm
Husky Centerline WDH w/active sway
2008 Tundra 5.7
prov431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerguy View Post
Thanks, ron
That would be kind of hard to do. Do you have a recessed table base in the garage? If you do take it out and you will be able to tell. Also possibly at the rear garage door sill. As far as I know the only problem is with the single door units which have a single side or rear door...

Dick
Old 04-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #16
beemerguy

It's at the dealers now,Keystone(susan) would not let the dealer remove the underpart to see if the floor was attached properly, what can I say? I'm keeping a record of everything they don't fix.
ron
Old 04-25-2010, 05:14 AM   #17
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov431 View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles...I was considering a toy hauler model, but ended up not going that route.
Regarding your tie down options, you might want to consider E-track, which is what most racers use in their trailers. There are plenty of attachments for the system to suit your needs.
Here is a link:
http://www.etrailer.com/c-ET.htm
Thanks..

I did go with E-track. I just put in 4 seperate lengths of 2' one at each strap location. We have a large area rug that we lay down after we take the bike out and it covers the track well. We use the garage as an office/den when we travel. I purchased an extra sliding door from Keystone. It is 8' x 24" and I cut it down to 21" wide and installed some folding brackets so it lays almost flat aginist the wall. We set up our laptops and printers. The unit is going back to Keystone on May 10th to replace the subfloor with 1" material. Other than the floor I am very happy with the trailer.

Later
Dick