Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
arcticcatred

Towing TT Info for newbie

I was thinking the same that I was safe. Would you guys recommend the reese SC WD hitch or the equalizer 4 point SC WD hitch for the cougar with the front cap?
arcticcatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Handysam

We had the Reese hitch on our old TT, which held up fine and worked great the 5 years we had it.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
ColoradoKeystone

Hello and welcome,
We too are new to the RV world. I would like to throw in my two cents. I would recomend a braking system for the trailer. Not sure if that is what it is called, but that is what i'm calling it. ha ha ha! Have fun.
ColoradoKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
f6bits

A braking system is a legal requirement. But that does remind me that your tow vehicle needs a brake controller before you take your trailer home. My controller came as part of the deal.

As for the hitch setup, I have the Equalizer and like its simplicity, but my impression is that the Reese dual cam is better at controlling sway.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
charltons

The equalizer works just fine....super easy to use. The dual cam is great for sway control, but the standard sway controls work just as well as long as you tow within your vehicle limits and try not to go 75 down the freeway.......
Old 02-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
RCrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
A braking system is a legal requirement. But that does remind me that your tow vehicle needs a brake controller before you take your trailer home. My controller came as part of the deal.
I didn't even own a brake controller until I bought this new 5th wheel. Put plenty of miles on pulling all kinds of trailers, including our TT and never had an issue. Kept a reasonable distance in traffic and used lower gears (both auto and manual) on steep grades. Only put one set of brakes on my last tow vehicle in 250K miles, mostly towing.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrawler View Post
I didn't even own a brake controller until I bought this new 5th wheel. Put plenty of miles on pulling all kinds of trailers, including our TT and never had an issue. Kept a reasonable distance in traffic and used lower gears (both auto and manual) on steep grades. Only put one set of brakes on my last tow vehicle in 250K miles, mostly towing.

Jason
MAN have you been living right!!!!! We had a 93 Ford F250 supercab 4X2 7.3l Diesel and we were towing our 4300 lb 20' boat back from the lake after a summer "drencher." The roads were wet, family buckled in going through town towards home. The light changed, we were about 100' or so from it and I applied the brakes, trailer with boat didn't like that and decided to push us as it kept right on rolling. We ended up in the middle of the intersection, at a 45* angle with the boat sitting nearly beside us. Thank goodness there wasn't much traffic at the time.

First thing I did when I got home was change my underwear, second was start troubleshooting that surge brake system that I thought wasn't needed with such a "light boat" and "heavy truck"

Glad you have brakes with this trailer !!!!! <G>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
MAN have you been living right!!!!! We had a 93 Ford F250 supercab 4X2 7.3l Diesel and we were towing our 4300 lb 20' boat back from the lake after a summer "drencher." The roads were wet, family buckled in going through town towards home. The light changed, we were about 100' or so from it and I applied the brakes, trailer with boat didn't like that and decided to push us as it kept right on rolling. We ended up in the middle of the intersection, at a 45* angle with the boat sitting nearly beside us. Thank goodness there wasn't much traffic at the time.

First thing I did when I got home was change my underwear, second was start troubleshooting that surge brake system that I thought wasn't needed with such a "light boat" and "heavy truck"

Glad you have brakes with this trailer !!!!! <G>
YIKES!!!! That sounds pretty scarry.
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
RCrawler

Just might be livin' right. I don't know.

I only had one time when on a wooded highway in open range land where I had an issue. Was going about 60 when a cow came across the road. I slowed down and she decided to double back out of the ditch. I got on the brakes hard and steered toward her, anticipating that she would keep moving. I wouldn't have stopped in time. Would have made a mess out of the front of my truck and the cow would have had a really bad day.

My truck was also a '93 7.3. But a crewcab 4wd version. As it sits, weighs over 10K lb its own. So not many trailers ever pushed it around.

But I guess we are going to get spanked if we continue off topic

My dad has a Reese WD. He seems to be happy with it once he got it adjusted properly.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 AM   #10
michol02

I have the Equalizer, and have no problems with new front cap interference or sway.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
suebobby

We are using a Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch on our Sprinter 264BHS. weighed the hitch loaded at 890lbs. using 1000 lb. bars. EXTREAMLY pleased.
suebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
arcticcatred

After a bit of research watching youtube videos, talking to dealers and looking at information on the Equalizer hitch and the new Reese SC hitch. I was swayed into ordering the Reese SC hitch by an Equalizer dealer that is now installing the Reese hitch. His first on experience with the ease of install, hookup and functionality of the hitch, price, and noise level swayed my decision. I ordered it off of Camping World with a coupon I had for $449, I went with the 1200lb one figuring the 800lb one was too light. I really like the fact that I will be able to install it myself with no special socket or ball. I will be towing the unit from dealer to my house without it, so I will be able to give a report on how well it works.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
arcticcatred

Sorry for the delay on report, I towed the brand new unit home dry (5880) without WD hitch. Truck sagged in the back probably 2-3 inches front raised 2 inches or so. I pulled on backroads and interstate, it was a little scarry when the wind caught it or a semi passed. On a 1-10 scale I give it about a 4( not fun to have white knuckles when you get to your destination). So came home and started the install TV part was easy. However the locknuts that go on the bracket bolts for the trailer frame were very difficult to tighten. After about 2 hours of wrenching with breakover bars with cheater pipes finally tight ( pain in the ___). Setup and adjustment were a breeze. After all said and done I got the camper level, truck level, front lowered 1/2 an inch. Went out in the wind and noticed a considerable amount of difference in feel in wind and being passed. But its still a 6000 pound trailer being towed by a 1/2 ton. On a 1-10 I give it a 7-8. Enough to make me feel safe enough for my experience and skill level in towing. One thing to note to install or remove bars from the reese sc hitch installed on the new cougar xlite w/front cap you have to remove the cap, for some no big deal others may think so.