Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Firecapt

Exclamation Tool for the emergency toolbox

This is something we all need in our “toolbox.”

Having been in the Fire Service in a very rural area for over 32 years I can tell you that just finding the location of the incident is more than half the battle. I always told the people I mentored: "You must know your area; as long as you can find the location, your training will carry you through the rest of the incident." While we always had great “run book maps" and tried to keep them updated there were always deficiencies. Many times the run book would get us to the general location but not to the specific address. A common example of this is a campground or RV park. While we got to the “front door” so to speak, we didn’t know the exact campsite or space within the park that we were going to. This is especially critical at night (after dark). Especially if all of the people involved are inside the RV attending to the patient, fire, etc.

So where am I going with all this? There’s a way to help responding personnel find you faster and increase your chances of survival in a medical, fire, or police emergency.

All you have to do is make your RV’s lights flash! Here is the easiest way to do this:

• Use a 12V 552/536 flasher (see pic below) plugged into your trailer cord.
• Tell the 911 dispatcher (when you call) that the incoming units should look for the RV with the flashing lights.
• Send anyone not involved with the direct control of the problem out to the street to help lead in the Emergency Services Responders.

Here’s how I took care of the first objective:

Buy a 552/536 flasher (about $4) and tape it to the king pin bracket. Mark the outside of the tape to make sure your family can find it in an emergency.

Mark the trailer cord-end so that there is no confusion as to where to plug it in.

Have a drill in doing this routine. Trust me, it may save your life or the life of a family member to do this. It’s not hokey to practice this exercise, the time to try it out for the first time is not when you have an emergency. It may be your husband, wife, or child that has to grab this flasher and plug it in. First go through the procedure with all family members, then have a drill. Besides, it’s fun to practice this in the dark since it makes your RV’s lights flash!

At a time when nobody expects it have an unannounced drill. Say something like: “this is a drill OMG Mom is having a heart attack, Dave, plug in the flasher and then go lead in the Emergency Personnel.

I know what you’re thinking “this is way over the top.” Please believe me it’s not. What I have just described and the drill to remember the procedure may make all the difference in saving a life, preventing further injury, or keeping a fire small instead of devastating. Trust me on this, our ability to find you in an emergency is the most important thing. Once we get there we can deal with whatever we are confronted with, 32 years in the business has taught me that.

This is literally a $4 life insurance policy!

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
chuckretnav

Great Idea Cap, I assume when the flasher is plugged in that will make the marker lights on the trailer come on? And of course then they flash because of the turn signal flasher in the circuit now. That correct
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Firecapt

That's it in the nutshell Chuck! Plugging in the flasher module will cause all the clearance lights to flash. Makes it pretty hard to miss your RV in the dark!

I wouldn't recommend using this for entertainment value in the campground unless you want your neighbors up in arms

2007 Ford F-250 Superduty Crew Cab
2006 Cougar 289EFS
Frank, Martha, & Ryan

"Happy Trails to you 'till we meet again"
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Firecapt, Sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure it will work if lights are LED. Not enough draw to heat up the flasher unless you use an electronic one. I think I have an old flasher somewhere .... I'll have to try it. Thanks, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
haffcke

flasher upgrade

just a though, find any of the wiring for the tail/marker lights usually brown wire, splice into it run new wire/spliced wire to flasher then to toggle switch installed inside unit, attach 12v from trailer battery to other side of switch, if you happened to be connected to your tow vech its lights will also blink. or use a 3 way switch on, off, on, hook to light's on outbound side of flasher and you can have lights on steady, nice for party going, with switch in off position no juice is flowing. UPDATE, i tried FIRECAPT's original post and found it to be so simple that it would be the best way to go. thanks FIRECAPT. NEW UPDATE, showing the wife how the emergency flasher worked she pointed out, if one of us were attending to the other due to heart attack or whatever they wouldn't leave the ill one to run outside to hook up anything especially in the dark, poring down rain, cold as heck etc. for fear the ill one might be gone before you got back in side. so i went back to my org. idea. easy job, i used an on off switch with built in pilot light, from a close by light i ran a hot wire to a fuse than to a heavy duty flasher then to the switch, went behind a near by side marker light and ran a wire back to the other side of switch and also run the ground back to switch from the marker light now when the switch is turned on all exterior lights flash plus the pilot light on the switch blinks reminding you they are on. works. Phil
haffcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
MILBY

won't they just see the flames
Old 02-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
TeamCyBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILBY View Post
won't they just see the flames
If someone is having a heart attack they won't ! I think it's a great and EASY idea.

Bo

Roy Rogers said it best, "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again".

https://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/.../thefamily.jpg
TeamCyBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Hunter757

Great idea thank you for the information. We will get ours done prior to our next trip out.

Happy and Safe camping to all.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
BoosTT

Waste of effort IMO. I've seen people do this every night too.

Unless it was you that set it up, it's going to take somone too long to locate and attach the relay in the dark. Why not just turn the hazards on in the truck? Or lite a flare?

Better plan would be to let everyone know where the truck keys are, incase someone needs to get driven to the hospital. Not "the keys are with dad by the pool". Actaully, I've seen people never disattach the camper from the truck... I would not suggest doing that.
BoosTT is offline   Reply With Quote