Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
JoeofNSB

Thumbs up LED Replacement Lights

For any of you considering LED lights to replace the 921 bulbs that you currently may have in fixtures here are a couple of suggestions.

I used the following LED lights for different locations:

921-CW12 cool white - gives you a lighter (less bright) than 921 light with a slight blue color - used in sleeping areas where you may want a "not-so-bright" light.
$ 5.95 each

921-WW12 warm white - more of a traditional color but still a little less bright light - used in ceiling lights that don't require a bright light for hunting for things
$5.95 each

WLED-WWHP10-DAC - High power warm white color for kitchen counter, bath light, anywhere you need more light - almost identical if not brighter to 921 in output.
$14.95 each

All of these bulbs came from www.superbrightleds.com and I'm very happy with them so far. Haven't done storage bays yet so I will let you know how those work out and what works best.

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
geo

Joe -

That is the same E-tailer and LEDs I got for the Alpine. In some of the fixtures, like the wall sconces, I used one Cool White and one Warm White to "average" the emitted color frequencies. These are also regulated LEDs. And some might view them as a little pricey, but I think they will be worth it.

I've saved my 921s to use in the storage basement. They are great little heaters, so I leave them on when the temps drop below freezing. I don't know if I'll put LEDs in the basement or not.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
CincyGus

Joe,

thanks for the part numbers and great descriptions. Will really help save time when ordering. I will be doing this prior to a long 4 day dry camping trip this fall to help save battery power and minimize generator use.

geo,

great suggestion on leaving the storage lights regular type bulbs and saving these as replacement for them.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

do you guys notice a loss in cell signal or wifi signal while in the trailer with LED lights. i have put these bulbs in garage door openers for some of my customers, and they all have had issues with signals from their car. i removed the light, and all was good again.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminsdad08 View Post
do you guys notice a loss in cell signal or wifi signal while in the trailer with LED lights. i have put these bulbs in garage door openers for some of my customers, and they all have had issues with signals from their car. i removed the light, and all was good again.
Hey there, Are you saying that with LED lights in the garage door opener (mounted on the ceiling of the garage) that there is a problem with cell phone reception in the car? Hmmmm that's one I've not heard of yet....

Or.. are you saying that with LED bulbs in the garage door opener mounted on the ceiling that the garage door opener remote mounted in the car won't signal the garage door to function???? If that's the situation, then probably there is an RF being emitted from the LED voltage regulator circuit that is causing interference with the remote function. I have heard complaints from some people with certain types of LED bulbs in their RV that complain of radio and TV interference. My guess would be you might be having some of the same interference issues. Makes me wonder how much of an issue there might be with LED bulbs once they are in broad use.... Remember the scares a few years ago about cell phones emitting RF that causes brain cancer??? I'm not trying to scare anybody, I have LED's in my RV, but I wonder what we'll learn about them after they've been in use for a few more years...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
cumminsdad08

yeah i don't know that cell phone was an issue, but the transmitters were the problem. i was just bringing up some of the down falls of LED lights. i for one am for LED lights. i just did'nt want to hurt cell phone, radio, tv and things like that nature. i don't know a whole lot about RF signals and what not. all i know is that my radio, tv, and cell phone communicate with what they need to, to make my life more enjoyable and easy. just so it stays that way.
i have seen, in the news, a town somewhere switched all the red lights out to LED to save money for the town, and it worked great and everyone loved it, untill winter. they didn't put off heat to melt the snow and ice off the stop light, so no one could see the lights to do what they were to do. all i am bringing up is, just because someone comes up with something that saves power, and all this other stuff, dosen't mean its perfect in all ways. i was just thinking of an issue that someone might think is important when investing on a new set up
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I totally agree. There are useful ways to save energy with LED's and then there are some applications where LED's just won't work. With the potential for interference in cell phones, TV's and radios, some (not all) LED lights may be a bigger problem than the energy they save. I've heard on several forums (including this one) of problems with interference. Your concern with garage door openers not working with LED lights was a first of that nature, but I can see where the issue could arise and prevent reception from a low power RF garage door opener.

Have a great one !!!! I'm keeping my LED's for now

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Just to be clear, are we talking about a 110vac LED bulb in the garage door opener as opposed to a 12vdc automotive LED? There are some major electrical differences between the two.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, lights, replacement bulb