Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
rrjernigan

Residential Frig when travelling

We have the 2017 Montana 3811 with a residential fridg. When travelling (from Fort Worth to Houston area, about 5-6 hours with stops), the fridg gets up to 68 or higher degrees. I asked Holiday World about it. They said make sure both bypass switches are on (one in the battery compartment and one in the side connection compartment where water etc are connected). Both seem to be on. Our last 5th Wheel (DRV) had a switch on the inside control panel they said to use when towing. This kept the fridge close to the full power temp. Any ideas on what might be the issue I am having or does anyone know of a switch I need to be flipping when in tow?

Thanks
rrjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
shov

Are you turning on the inverter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

We just had 2 or 3 threads on these residential frigs and getting power to them via the inverter, do a search on say "residential", "Refrigerator" . "inverter"

Matt.. in one post listed what to check in the inverter circuit associated with a residential frig.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
rrjernigan

I did find one post that sounded much like my issue. Next time we move the unit I will do some looking around at the inverter to see if it is being powered. Will let you know. It does appear as if it should be getting power. There is also an unlabeled switch in my control panel inside the unit. This may have something to do with as I have no idea what that switch is for.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
rrjernigan

I am not turning it on. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, it came on automatically like by previous units. This could be the problem.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
shov

You need to turn it off when hooked up to shore power and turn it on when you want the fridge to run off of the batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

It should be a simple matter of opening the refrigerator door to see if the refrigerator is getting power. If the inverter is working and providing 120VAC to the refrigerator, the interior lights will be on. If the inverter is not working or if a switch is in the wrong position, when you open the refrigerator door, it will be "dark inside".... That simple "test" will tell you whether you're system is turned on and working or not. Next, if it's "dark inside" is to determine if it's a switch issue (operator error ???) or if there is a malfunction with the inverter, battery or wiring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
MattHelm21

Quote:
It should be a simple matter of opening the refrigerator door to see if the refrigerator is getting power.
X2. All it takes is opening the fridge door. If the lights comes on you are good to go. If not, start flipping switches. Also, when my inverter is working, you can clearly hear the cooling fan.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
sonofcy

Open the basement hatch on the side with the plumbing controls. Look up at the ceiling of the basement to see the inverter. At the right end of the inverter will be a switch, turn it to on (you can tell it's on because the green led on the GFCI the fridge is plugged into on the back of the inverter will light up). Now check lights in the fridge.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote