Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
rjsurfer

OK to convert slide out 12v light to 110vac?

I lost the 12 volts to the slide out light fixture and its not the usual problem of the 12v line broken under the slide out where it flexes. I checked it to the point where the line goes into the under chassis area and still no 12vdc.

Rather than pulling the Chloroplast down I was wondering if I could just cut the 12vdc line coming from the fixture then simply attach it to the 120vac junction box under the slider then change the light fixture to a 110vac one?

Granted the light would only work when we were attached to ac power but that's OK with me.

Thanks

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
smiller

The 12-volt twin-lead wire may not be intended/rated for 120-volt use so I'm sure the official answer is no, but if yours is the same as mine the insulation and gauge look to be quite adequate so (and I know I'm gonna get flamed for this one) you could probably do this safely. As usual keep checking the line under the slide out for wear and chafing.

As to the no 12 volts present... I assume that you checked the fuse? (with a ohmmeter or fuse tester, sometimes they can appear good visually even if they are open.)
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Can it be done? Yes, and pretty much exactly as you describe. The wire is probably 14 or 16 ga. Any smaller than that would be bad.

But, there's no ground wire, just black for hot and white for common. That concerns me a bit.

If I was in your shoes, I'd do a bit more troubleshooting on the 12vdc first. If that wire is cut or shorted somewhere between the slide and the fuse, it will cause problems down the line for sure.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
rjsurfer

Thanks....giving me some food for thought.

Good point on the fuse I just took a quick look.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote