Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
TV Booster Possibility

I have a 2017 Hideout that has one of those Omni directional antenna that does not receive tv stations very well. I friend of ours has a older type that has to be raised and directed and pulls in more stations. My booster is on. Is there a a booster that can be installed to do a better job. We don't watch a lot of tv when we are out but there are those times we would like to watch the news or programs. Not particular interested in using a dish type system.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
buzzcop63

Omni directional antenna has not had positive results that I have found, the old type seems to work best: As you can see we like our TV, morning news and evening shows.

Our Travel Trailer came with the Winegard Sensar IV HD Antenna, which you crank up and then can turn to tune in stations. We added the Wingman to increase signal strength. Next I installed the Winegard Sensarpro TV Signal Meter, which replaced the standard power supply and acts as a signal strength indicator, adjustable amplifier and wall plate power supply, it added specific search modes, eliminating guesswork. Also found a foam rubber clock, like the one you might use to train your kids how to tell time. I cut out the center with the hands and placed it over the ceiling crank so that once stations are found you can mark down their location then when you wish to change the direction of the antenna for a specific station or group of stations you know exactly where to turn the crank to align the antenna. Also the following web sights will allow you to put in the zip code of the location you are going to camp at and it will show the RF number and stations that can be viewed by your antenna and the strength of their signal and location to give you a better chance of locking on. And last I found that once the Sensarpro TV Signal Meter locates the most stations I let the TV search and lock in those stations, the TV seems to pull in more then I get by just selecting the channel. Be aware that not all stations are the common ones you are used to, many have an RF number like 45 and will represent channel 12 or Fox on the signal meter.
http://antennaweb.org/Address.aspx
https://www.tvfool.com/modeling/
Old 07-31-2017, 02:21 AM   #3
notanlines

Larry, Buzzcop has given you good advice (we'll let the foam clock idea rest for now) We have the same antenna and wing at do reasonably well. I would take the time to remove your existing piece of trash and invest a small amount of time and money in the crank style.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

It would depend on where the existing antenna is mounted if replacing it with a crank up style. Omni doesn't have a hole in the ceiling and he would have to make that hole. I don't know of any boosters that are "better" than the one you have. I do know there are different brands of omnidirectional antennas and that might be your best option.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:11 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

If you are receiving pixelized channels or you feel there may be weak ones present you can add an amplifier between the wall plate and the tv. They are available in box and hardware stores or online (of course). They range greatly in price and boost. SIMILAR TO THIS .... Of course you get what you pay for. But may be worth a try before cutting holes in your roof. As far as I know they require ac 110v. Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
mikz86ta

Not sure what came on our Fuzion 420, but it does decent. Maybe the area we are living is good. But I get about 40 channels. I never seen a booster or crank. Seems to be a fixed unit. Have not been on the roof yet. It's black, has 2 wings, sits about 8/9" tall, and the wings face forward / back direction. I'm positioned with the entry side directly East.
Been reading alot.
I want to know exact wiring, how the cable input is wired and tags into the lines as well as how the Satellite prep is wired.
Seems they don't like showing this info anywhere. Just give u labeled coax ports outside. And the manuals are NOT model specific
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
Not sure what came on our Fuzion 420, but it does decent. Maybe the area we are living is good. But I get about 40 channels. I never seen a booster or crank. Seems to be a fixed unit. Have not been on the roof yet. It's black, has 2 wings, sits about 8/9" tall, and the wings face forward / back direction. I'm positioned with the entry side directly East.
Been reading alot.
I want to know exact wiring, how the cable input is wired and tags into the lines as well as how the Satellite prep is wired.
Seems they don't like showing this info anywhere. Just give u labeled coax ports outside. And the manuals are NOT model specific
Unfortunately there are no wiring or plumbing diagrams from Keystone or any of the other manufacturers. Your best bet is to search to see if someone has done a particular project or ask and others will share their experiences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikz86ta View Post
Been reading alot.
Here's a quick lesson:

Coax from antenna will be directly from antenna to booster. Coax from "Cable in" at the exterior will be directly from the port to the booster. coax for "Sat in" will be directly from exterior port to the outlet by the booster or "Main" TV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote