Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
Outbackmel

Lug Nut Torque

Just a short q...what is appropriate torque using manual wrench for 5th wheels?

Going to the mountains tomorrow to check mine, among other things, but I know I cannot easily get to any manuals....tnx.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Just a short q...what is appropriate torque using manual wrench for 5th wheels?

Going to the mountains tomorrow to check mine, among other things, but I know I cannot easily get to any manuals....tnx.
You don't have to hunt for paperwork, the manual can be downloaded from Keystone. http://www.keystonerv.com/?page=serv...8cee1bd8c2f953

From the manual final torque for lugs are: 110-120 ftlbs for all but Cambridge 140-150 for Cambridge. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

STEEL WHEELS OR MAGS? MOST STEEL WHEELS ARE 80 POUND FEET. MAGS RUN 90-120 DEPENDING ON LUG STUD SIZE. THERE SHOULD BE A STICKER NEAR THE WHEELS WITH THE SPEC OR CALL THE DEALER. SOME TRAILERS HAVE 1/2 LUG STUDS THE HEAVIER HAVE 9/16 OR 5/8 STUDS AND YOU WANT TO USE A SOCKET WITH THE SHORTEST OR NO EXTENSSION. 1/2 DRIVE AND A GOOD TORQUE WRENCH NOT A CHINEES CHEAPO BENDING BEAM TYPE. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT. PS ALSO REMEMBER TO TIGHTEN THEM CRIS CROSS NOT AROUND IN A CIRCLE. TORQUE THEM AT YOU REST STOPS FOR THE TRIP UP. YOU MY FIND THEY LOSTEN A BIT AFTER 200 MILES. ENYJOY YOUR TRIP'
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Outbackmel

Thanks

I'll double check of course, however, I am 99% they are chrome mags. They are covered and I am old and forgetful. I was thinking 110 lbs as that was what I did on my old Hornet and no issue. Appreciate the speedy response. I have a Craftsman torque wrench. Instructions came in english....
Old 11-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
I'll double check of course, however, I am 99% they are chrome mags. They are covered and I am old and forgetful. I was thinking 110 lbs as that was what I did on my old Hornet and no issue. Appreciate the speedy response. I have a Craftsman torque wrench. Instructions came in english....
The numbers that SAABDOCTOR gave are a general rule for automobile wheels. Trailer tires are subject to much more lateral stress while turning and should be torqued to the specs from the axle manufacturer. Most Keystone trailers are 110-120ftlbs. as stated in the manual and the DVD that came with it. If your torque wrench is the "clicker" type always return the setting to "0" for storage so it maintains calibration. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
SLIMSHADIE

My manual said 120 ft lbs aluminum mags, so I put a sticker that I made with a labeler on the fender skirt. Otherwise I would never remember. I also did buy one of those cheap wrenches($20) from Menards. I just keep it in the camper. I know they are not perfect but should be close enough, since I check them everytime we leave. I didn't think it was necessary to keep a good wrench in there since every lock is keyed like everybody else's, dont need it growing legs.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Johnnyfry

Torque wrenches

Dial, or clicker, wrenches are much more accurate but, unlike the older beam wrenches, they go out of calibration and, like most measuring instruments, should be calibrated on a regular basis.

The old beam wrenches put up with a lot of abuse and retain reasonable accuracy.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Outbackmel

Lug Torque

Hankpage; thanks. I DO always return to zero as suggested.
Slimshadie; excellent tip on making a note and placing it on the fender skirt.
I am going to do just that.

Between the tire air pressure in the Dodge truck; wifes SUV; H-D; Yamaha; 4 bicycles; golf cart, etc....one can go NUTS
Old 11-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

ACTUALY HANKPAGE THE NUMBERS I GAVE ARE FROM 3 MONTANA'S I HAVE OWNED. THE STEEL WHEELS ON MY LAST TWO WERE 80FT/LBS THE 2010 WITH MAGS IS 120LP/FT AND YES SAABS ARE 80LP/FT IF THERE ARE ANY SAABS LEFT! SOME TIME I THINK BEFORE I WRITE HA HA
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote