Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
Devildogmom

Unhappy Gettin' to be time to winterize

We're having Indian Summer right now in SW Michigan. Since we have no plans to camp before the snow flies, this seems to be a good time to clean out the fifth wheel and winterize.

I will only move items that shouldn't be left in the deep freeze. i.e. medicine cabinet items, food items in the kitchen cabinets, batteries, etc. I don't plan to move towels, and dishes.

We will be leaving the fiver under a carport. We plan to make side walls of tarps to keep the blowing snow from getting in. Should we store with the slides not extended?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 10-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you do a Google search on Winterizing RV's you will find plenty of information about this topic. As for the slides, I would retract them since there doesn't seem to be any need to have them out. Lippert and Keystone both recommend that they should be retracted when not in use for long periods of time or, in lieu of that, activated from time to time --- moving them in and out.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
hankaye

Howdy All;

Devildogmom, you are one timely person....

Just received my copy of GS's Highways. On page 65 Gary Bunzer (The RV Docter), has a very good and fairly comprensive article about "Winterizing".

Even though I continue to live in mine all year 'round I think he brings up some interesting items that full timers should be checking on a sort of semi-annual schedule.

* Check the annode in the water heater, when you drain it you can check for a stuck relief valve, the condition of your annode and you will regain the air bubble in the top of the tank so it dosn't have a "runny nose".

* Checking ALL of your weatherseals and gaskets.

* Clean out your waste tanks as well as you can. He recommends using Dow's 111 as a lubricant for the seals. Ya have to take them apart to lubricate them. ... Use gloves.

* Checking the fridg's exhaust to be sure it's clean.

That's all I can think of right now... will post more when I think of them.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote