Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Warranty repairs vs Insurance repairs

There have been many, many posts about the issues with timeframes waiting for warranty work, approval etc. My current situation has sort of illuminated some things.

With warranty work the dealer is strapped with dealing with not only the upset customer, but the manufacturers reluctance to do a warranty repair and then interfacing between the two. On top of that the prices paid for warranty work just aren't the same as straight up repairs.

I have had more than my share of warranty issues and they have been resolved to my satisfaction, but, at times I did have to wait for a couple of weeks before I could bring it in and then a few more weeks for authorization and the work completed. Normal warranty stuff.

Just had a tire failure that damaged the underside of the trailer - insurance coverage. In another post I mentioned that the service manager said to bring it in "now". They knew I was in a hurry to get to FL so figured they were taking care of me....and they were. I filed a claim with Geico before I took it in. The adjuster visited the dealership the day after I brought the trailer in. The service writer and the adjuster looked at the damage and.....on the spot issued a check to CW for $6500. That doesn't include the $800 or so I'm going to pay them for new tires on pickup Saturday. Brought it in Wednesday, made substantial repairs (including replacing the entire underbelly), and back to me on Saturday - and they have their money in hand. If I owned the business, I would prioritize that kind of work as well.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #2
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
There have been many, many posts about the issues with timeframes waiting for warranty work, approval etc. My current situation has sort of illuminated some things.

With warranty work the dealer is strapped with dealing with not only the upset customer, but the manufacturers reluctance to do a warranty repair and then interfacing between the two. On top of that the prices paid for warranty work just aren't the same as straight up repairs.

I have had more than my share of warranty issues and they have been resolved to my satisfaction, but, at times I did have to wait for a couple of weeks before I could bring it in and then a few more weeks for authorization and the work completed. Normal warranty stuff.

Just had a tire failure that damaged the underside of the trailer - insurance coverage. In another post I mentioned that the service manager said to bring it in "now". They knew I was in a hurry to get to FL so figured they were taking care of me....and they were. I filed a claim with Geico before I took it in. The adjuster visited the dealership the day after I brought the trailer in. The service writer and the adjuster looked at the damage and.....on the spot issued a check to CW for $6500. That doesn't include the $800 or so I'm going to pay them for new tires on pickup Saturday. Brought it in Wednesday, made substantial repairs (including replacing the entire underbelly), and back to me on Saturday - and they have their money in hand. If I owned the business, I would prioritize that kind of work as well.
Wow. That's great service from CW and Geico.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

When the tree fell on our Springdale and destroyed the roof, Progressive insurance and CW did much the same thing that sourdough is experiencing. There were no issues of "wait for approval" nobody even mentioned "peeling the EPDM roof membrane off and reusing the OSB decking. It was all 'new from the joists up, no questions asked. None of the roof vents were reused, all new, new A/C shroud, new reefer vent, new molding around the roof/sidewall union, new slide roof, even though there was only one "pencil size" scrape in the EPDM which I'd have been satisfied with a 1" patch. CW pulled the entire slide roof off and installed a new one. And they did it all in less than 1 month from delivery of the "swiss cheese trailer" until the time they returned it to me.

Honestly, I didn't recognize the trailer when I drove up to pick it up. I drove right past it thinking it must be a new one awaiting delivery. Washed, waxed, tire shine on the tires, cleaned and prepped just like a new one.

There is, in my experience, a totally different "mood" between "warranty work" and "customer paid work"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

As a kudo to Geico, when we took it in after I had looked at the damage, and after the CW service manager and advisor looked at it, I figured the total wouldn't amount to much more than my $500 deductible. The Geico adjuster looked under the trailer and saw some of the things I would just let slide. He told the advisor, and rightfully so, that those things we were letting slide could cause water intrusion in the future causing further damage and he wasn't going to let that go.....hence the total underbelly and other things I wasn't looking for. I am a very appreciative customer of both Geico and CW.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

I have mentioned to others on here a time or two, have your insurance deal with it regarding somethings on trailers out of warranty. I wonder if many do not have coverage. On blow tires, several I know have had them. One was a trailer around 3 years old and he phoned ins and was taken care of. The trailer fixed thru ins. I think it might be looked at as a road hazard, like a car/truck tire blowing. But, with a rv there is also vehicle damage besides just a tire/wheel.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote