Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
Steve S

Halogen bulbs

I'm looking at these halogen bulbs and I was wondering if anyone here has tried them and what they've thought about them.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
spicercars

Need more information on what you are looking at and what you want to use them on?
Old 03-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

"looking at these halogen bulbs"?? Which ones? For what?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #4
Steve S

OOPPSS! Interior bulbs, I've seen them on Ebay and was wondering if they're any better then LED
Old 03-09-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You need to go with LEDs. A halogen lamp is hotter than an incandescent bulb; much hotter I believe. You don't want that in your RV fixtures.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #6
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You need to go with LEDs. A halogen lamp is hotter than an incandescent bulb; much hotter I believe. You don't want that in your RV fixtures.
I never thought about that, I wonder why they sell them as interior RV bulbs It's bad enough that the factory bulbs melt the lenses
Old 03-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I've not seen halogen lights to replace the 921 lights like I have. There may be some but I haven't seen them.

I do have an entire ceiling runner of halogen indoor lamps in my sunroom and they will literally roast you. They have special fixtures and I wouldn't think about using something like that in the cheap fixtures in an RV.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:00 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Our "Sun seeker" class C motor homes use a halogen bulb for the dome light above the dash. Can't say I've seen them used for much else, as stated before too much heat.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
BOWWOW

I would not put halogen bulbs inside! I buy my LED's at ALIEXPRESS.COM
You should find the 921 base there. There are similar sites also, some with better reviews.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

In past years (and possibly even in current models) Keystone as well as other manufacturers used halogen bulbs in the pendant lights that "hang down" over the island. Most of them are the T-10 base halogen bulbs commonly used in low voltage landscape lighting. Yes, they do get extremely hot and can be a hazard to touch, but shouldn't be much of a "fire hazard" the way they are located and used in "hanging lamps".

They do consume a lot of electrical power (all that heat is wasted light energy) and converting them to LED's is, in my opinion, a "no brainer".

That said, I wouldn't use a halogen bulb in any "surface mount" or "recessed mount" fixture in a trailer, there's just too much "flammable stuff" nearby.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #11
Milocka

Real world experience: I almost burnt down my old Thor TranSport toy hauler a couple years ago. It had a queen bed that stored against the ceiling in the cargo area. My son left a light on and I didn't realize it when I stored the bed. Got home and there was literally smoke coming off the bed. Pulled it down and the dome lift lens was melted and the light bulb had almost caught the sleeping bag on fire. Anther 10 minutes I would have had a serious fire on my hands. Next day I replaced all bulbs with LEDs. Did the same thing with my new Laredo, got a 20pack on Amazon for forty bucks.
Milocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
spicercars

Led's are the only way to go. Very low heat and great light.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicercars View Post
Led's are the only way to go. Very low heat and great light.
All my lights inside and outside are LED and my porch light I leave on 24/7 as I want to see how long it'll last
So here's the scoop on the halogens; I showed the guy at the service department the ebay ad and he just looked at me and said "you didn't buy those did you?" He said if you really want to burn your trailer to the ground then these lights are the way to go. Off the top of his head he figured that with these bulbs installed in a light fixture with the lens cover that it would take about 12 hrs for a fire to start
So the short of the story is don't buy these bulbs!