Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
Hideout17

Gray and black tank help

With my tablet i can't search other older forums. Could some of you post a link or two for taking care of holding tanks on my trailer? Mainly what chemicals to use in which one and how often either home brew or name brand. Thanks...I have tried googling with limited results. Thanks again. This is very new to me and in a little timid yet...6
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
GaryWT

I use Aqua Chem liquid that I buy at Walmart. I go through about 3 bottles a year. Many use nothing but water, some use call on etc. the key is keep the black tank closed until it is at least 2/3 full and fuller if possible. Add water before dumping if you need to. Dump the black and then the gray to rinse the hose. Do not use the water hose to rinse. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
Hideout17

Thanks how do you keep fresh water tank in good shape?
Hideout17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideout17 View Post
Thanks how do you keep fresh water tank in good shape?
Drain it when your not using it. You can get fresh water system sanitizer kits, but I think a lot of it has to do with water quality. I just drain and refill when I go camping. Usually no more than 1/3 tank for flushing, and since we camp with furry friends we only camp with full hookups.

We use bottled Water for coffee maker and drinking. About the only water for cooking is boiling noodles for mac/cheese and dishes so campground water is good enough.

FWIW in the Black tank I use liquid TST citrus. It smells good to start and a week into camping it doesn't stink. I don't use any chemicals in the gray tank, just rinse it real good to clear food particles.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
GaryWT

Similar to Chuck, we clean the fresh water tank with water and bleach at the start of the year but we do not use it. We always have full hookups and drink and make coffee with bottled water.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote