Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
pirates55

Replacing Bathroom and Refrigerator Vents

My 2004 Springdale needs to have the vents replaced. Anyone done this before. I looks easy as removing several screws and simply putting the new one in place and sealing around it. Is it that easy.

Also, any of you guys used any of the roof sealers before. I had thought about getting the stuff you paint on the entire roof but the owner of a RV repair shop that does all the Tom Johnson work told me it does more harm than good. He said it would be best to simply take the Dicor self leveling stuff and just go around the edges and vents and leave the rest alone.

any thoughts.

I'm pulling the windows out this weekend to reseal them as well.
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
pirates55

I assume you put some of the butyl (sp) tape under the vents as well before you screw them back on.
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd strongly suggest butyl (not clay) weatherstripping under all the mating surfaces between the roof and the new vents. Then, Dicor over the screw heads and then over the edges of each vent. While you're up there, clean and reseal anything you aren't replacing. Especially the antenna and any seams/molding along the edge of the roof/wall. As for recoating the entire roof. I'd suggest a good cleaning, then reseal as above, once dry, a good EPDM protectant applied liberally. It's $30 + a gallon and it might take more than one gallon. Well worth the cost.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote