Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
suddensam

My solution for water pump noise reduction

Like many others I was not very happy with how loud the water pump was in my fancy new toy hauler (2015 Raptor 332TS). My previous camper was a 1999 Lance 1130 truck camper which you could definitely hear the pump but it just seemed different. In the new trailer it was louder and just gave the feeling that things were vibrating because of it. So after reviewing lots of threads on here about what could be done I decided it was worth the effort to try and quite it down.

Step one was to start opening access areas and see exactly how things were laid out from the factory. Fortunately there is plenty of space to get at the pump and most of the water lines after removing a couple panels in the pass through storage compartment. It is also fortunate that I reviewed several posts on here before hand so I wasn't all that surprised by the lack of organized routing.

Once I had an idea of the space available and the basic layout I decided I wanted to go ahead and try an accumulator tank. Based on several reviews on Amazon as well as on here that referenced its use in RV applications I went with this one. WaterWorker HT-2B In-Line Pressure Well Tank, 2-Gallon Capacity. A trip or two to Lowes was needed to get the appropriate fittings for connecting it on the outlet side of the water pump. This consisted of a ¾” tee, ¾” to ½” bushing, and a short nipple for the original flex connector to attach on the output side of the tank. The other side of the tee needed a ¾” MPT to ½” barb fitting, a short piece of pex, and a barb to flex connector to connect to the output side of pump. In order to get the tank to fit near the pump and not put too much stress on existing water lines the accumulator tank needed to sit at a bit of on angle. Using some scrap wood that I had laying around I built a stand to hold the tank at an angle that seemed to work well. Since the goal was to reduce noise I followed the advice found in other posts and sandwiched some floor mat foam between two pieces of plywood. The water pump has rubber feet for mounting so the foam was probably not necessary but I had some extra pieces so went ahead with it anyway. I secured the tank to the stand with some pieces of nylon strap. It seems to hold it in place securely but will keep an eye on it over the next few trips to see if it loosens up.

At this point I hooked everything up and gave it a test. It takes the pump about 30 seconds or so to pressurize the system. I set the pre-charge on the accumulator tank at 25psi since the max psi listed on the pump is 50psi. With this setting I get about 15 seconds of water out of the bathroom sink with the cold side fully open before the pump kicks on. See below for some actual DB noise measurements taken after this step was completed.

In order to reduce vibration noises I started following the water lines all the way to the bathroom and kitchen and wrapped the lines with insulating foam anywhere that they rested against the floor, frame, through holes, or anything else that looked like it would transfer vibrations. I went through two 5’ lengths of foam. One was for ½” diameter pipe and the other was for 1-1/2” pipe. I’d simply cut off a short length and create a buffer between the pex and whatever hard surface it was resting against. I'll added a couple pictures to give examples of how I placed the foam in another post since I can only put four in a single message.

In order to measure how effective my effort was at reducing noise I loaded a simple noise analyzer onto my iPhone. I doubt it is a very accurate measurement device but it seems to give consistent measurements on repeated tests and it was free. For all the measurements I placed the phone on the bed near the bathroom door (door open) and let the dB meter free run. With no water on I get a steady 28-30 dB reading. Before any modifications the pump running with bathroom sink on was 60+ dB. With just the accumulator added prior to adding any foam I’d get about 45 dB with the faucet on. Once the pump kicked on it jumped up to about 55 dB. After adding the foam to isolate the pipe from hard surfaces it dropped to about 50 dB with the pump and faucet on. With the just the pump running and no faucet it would hover between 45-50 dB. To the ear it sounds much better in my opinion. The pump has a deeper sound since it is working against the pre-charge of the accumulator tank. Before any modifications it sounded like something was broken and you could almost feel the vibration when the pump was running. Time will tell on how it all holds up but overall I think it was worth the effort.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Accessing all the Components.jpg
Views:	1409
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	8790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accumulator and Pump installed.jpg
Views:	1402
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	8791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accumulator and Pump installed2.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	8792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Accumulator stand.jpg
Views:	1399
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	8793   Click image for larger version

Name:	foam padded pex.jpg
Views:	1258
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	8794  

suddensam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
suddensam

Here are a couple pictures of the foam I used to reduce vibration against the frame, floor, and other hard objects.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foam padded pex2.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	8795  
suddensam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 04:26 AM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

Nice write-up!
I like the stand idea for the tank and pump. I had purchased a tank 2 years ago trying to figure out how to mount it, boy time flies. Also like the pipe insulation idea for rattles.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
trueweb

quite an impressive job. The pictures and details are helpful too.
trueweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
Canam

Are you going to have to do anything different when you want to winterize your RV?
Canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
suddensam

Good question but I didn't give it much concern, I store the unit inside my shop so I don't need to worry about winterizing it.

I wouldn't think I'd have a problem though. The accumulator is in line straight off the output side of the pump so I think the normal winterizing procedure should work to pull antifreeze into the accumulator along with the rest of the system. I'd have to check to see if the accumulator tank has any issues with antifreeze though. Even if it did I could drain the accumulator and remove it from the system fairly quickly if necessary since it is installed with flex connections.

Sam
Old 06-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
natedog_37

Nice.

My solution was full hookup..

JK
natedog_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #8
GMcKenzie

I added an accumulator a couple years ago. No extra steps needed for winterizing.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Mopar madman

I also added an accumulator tank in my trailer. I installed a shutoff in line with the tank and after I've cleared the lines with air I shut the valve so I don't needlessly fill the accumulator tank with antifreeze. Two of the harshest Michigan winters and no issues. It's a great mod and functions great! Highly recommend.

Jeff & Theresa Barsotti

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab Laramie SLT
2011 Keystone Laredo 265 RL
Mopar madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
audio1der

That was a heckuvan installation; very well thought-out and thorough.
Question though; why not isolate the feet of the pump from the floor when you had everything opened up?
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
suddensam

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
That was a heckuvan installation; very well thought-out and thorough.
Question though; why not isolate the feet of the pump from the floor when you had everything opened up?
Thanks, I learned a lot from reading other posts on here before I started. I just hope that sharing what I did will help someone else out.

As for isolating the feet of the pump the model pump I have has rubber legs/feet so I didn't see much point in adding to much else. But if you look close you can see that the top plate of the accumulator stand was made large enough for the pump to sit on. This whole assembly is glued to a bed of foam floor mat material. I cut the corners of the top plate just enough so I could run screws through just the bottom plate to secure the whole thing to the floor. I'm not sure how much if any difference it really makes but based my design off someone else's recommendation that I found in several threads when searching for "water pump noise".