Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
ColoradoSooner

What are the little things we need to buy?

We currently own a Chalet Arrowhead without a bathroom, hot water heater, etc. So it's pretty basic. We have a fresh water tank but we've never used it since we don't have any kind of holding tank for grey water.

Anyway, what are the things we need to buy for a new travel trailer (23RB) with a whole lot more amenities?

For instance, will it come with a black water hose or will we need to purchase one?

I know that may sound silly but we really have no idea.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated!
ColoradoSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

This question has been posed many times but I can't find a thread that would have your answers so;

Basics: fresh water hose, black water flush hose (if equipped), sewer hose with clear L at the end and adapter for sewer connection, pots, pans, dishes, silverware, linens, black tank chemical, rv toilet paper, basic tools, water filter (important to us), disposable rubber gloves (for handling sewer hose etc), spare fuses for all the types you have, torque wrench/sockets for tightening truck/trailer lug nuts, flashlight, spare hot water heater drain plug, and much more not coming to mind right now.

OR, buy the water hoses and sewer hose, go to a campground, move in and make a list, pull out checkbook, go to Walmart and Camping World, call banker and get loan, empty bank account, resume camping...

If you have time look thru the forum for super suggestions to your question. There will be others I'm sure to add to the list. Most importantly - go with the flow and have fun
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

If you go to the Prospective Owner's section there is a sticky -- "New RV Owner's Checklist" at the very top of the listings. The list is a bit lengthy but will give you a starting point to make your own list to suit your needs.

Depending upon your dealer, you may get a "bucket of goodies" but don't count on a whole lot of freebies.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
ColoradoSooner

Well, duh! I saw that sticky but it didn't click to look there since I'm not technically a "new RV owner." Ha! Just took a look and it definitely answered my questions. Thank you so much.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
Wantoride

Besides the stuff listed that any RV owner should consider getting, you'll end up "personalizing" it to your specs over time. A couple of things that we added was wire channels that stick to the wall to keep the electric cords from hanging in the middle of the counter as well as a towel holder on the shower door, little stuff like that. My wife turned her closet into shelves by stitching a hanging shelf with sunbrella fabric and luan plywood. I thought it was a little over the top when she was working on it but now I'd like one for my side. There is some stuff on the various lists that I havnt used yet and depending on travel, may not. I have way to many tools. I find myself going into the trailer to find tools for work on the house stuff. Same with wood blocks for leveling same with blankets and spare clothing. Fuses, surge protectors, water pressure nozzles are a must as are a variety of 30amp adapters depending on the amperage of sites you may use.. Your gonna love your 23rb. We really like ours. Enjoy
Old 03-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Murphsmom

We have been trailer camping since the 60s, but there was one thing I found for our new (two summers ago) Cougar. They make clothes hangers that snap onto the bar in the wardrobe. We love them. There is no longer a pile of clothes on the floor at every stop. Got ours at CW, but they probably have them elsewhere, too.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
14george

What sourdough said plus pillows sheets blanket flashlight I'm sure there is more
Old 03-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #8
GmaPaTime

After you get all the essentials identified above get a pad of paper and a writing tool of choice. As long as you own an RV you will always have something of need or want, so just keep writing them down and get then when you can.

Enjoy the camper...

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #9
Pmedic4

The never ending, "that would be nice" list

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPaTime View Post
After you get all the essentials identified above get a pad of paper and a writing tool of choice. As long as you own an RV you will always have something of need or want, so just keep writing them down and get then when you can.

Enjoy the camper...

Steve
Just echoing GmaPaTime, you and everyone else who buys any RV, ends up with a list of things they'd like to have for their adventures. It is sometimes amazing how often you see something you think that works for your 'convenience', or absolutely have to have. Welcome to the camping lifestyle!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
koko

We went from an Aliner Sport (tiny) to a 19 ft TT. Actually, we already had a lot of what we needed from the Aliner (the essentials). We began over-buying and can now hold a sale in our basement for all the things we thought we would need that just junked up our larger, but still small, camper. Go camping a few times before you purchase more than the plumbing things that you didn't have before. By the third time out - and a good shopping list - you'll know. Spending the night at a safe Walmart is kind of a fun way to supply it. Then if you decide it doesn't quite fit or you don't really need it, you're right there for the return.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Guess I'm out to lunch. I knew there was a sticky for this and I see it every time I open this section......but unfortunately my brain couldn't remember that as I was looking at it. Sorry I didn't guide you to the sticky in my first post.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:29 AM   #12
ColoradoSooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
We went from an Aliner Sport (tiny) to a 19 ft TT. Actually, we already had a lot of what we needed from the Aliner (the essentials). We began over-buying and can now hold a sale in our basement for all the things we thought we would need that just junked up our larger, but still small, camper.
That's kind of my fear...that I'll be all, "Wow! Look at all this SPACE!" and then go crazy. Like you said, we really have everything we NEED for a good camping experience. The plumbing stuff is what's kind of freaking me out and I definitely want to make sure I have everything for THAT!
Old 03-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #13
rbev2308

I remember my starter kit the dealer gave me. I got to the campground and opened to find a 10 ft sewer hose. I really wanted to go back over and tell them that about 99% of every place I could park this 40 footer is no where near 10 ft away. Hell I have to use extensions on my 25 at most places....
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmaPaTime View Post
After you get all the essentials identified above get a pad of paper and a writing tool of choice.
Nah. It's 2015.

Pull out your phone and make notes

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:21 AM   #15
ColoradoSooner

Talked to our sales guy last week and he told me that we'll get a starter kit that has fresh water hose, water regulator, sewer hose, etc., in it. But then he said that he would HIGHLY recommend we just go ahead and purchase a sewer hose because the one in the starter kit is a joke and "that's something you really don't want to take a chance on."
Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

"Starter" kits are a bit of a joke IMO. Maybe 10' of fresh water hose and depending on where the inlet is on your trailer may not reach. Water regulator will be plastic, okay for a while but I would get a brass one as it will last longer than the trailer. Sewer hose will also probably be 10' and again may not reach.

As a rule, all the hook-ups are near the rear of the space on the D/S of the trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
roadglide

I took delivery of a 2015 311 Impact toy hauler when I got it home I noticed there wasn't any cutting boards over the sink for the work area. The dealer said some come with it and some do not come with cutting boards . I don't beleave that and said how do you expect to work over a open sink. There going to look into it for me. Ill know more when they finish the issues I had after using it for 5 days. What do you need for your new RV,
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:20 AM   #18
jsmith948

At the risk of sounding like a skeptic regarding your dealer's statement that "some come with cutting boards and some don't"....
If you go into his parts/supply department you can probably buy the very same boards that came with your trailer!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #19
monica4patience

We moved from tent camping -> pop-up -> travel trailer. Each time I was surprised at how little we needed to purchase right away. Of course, as time went on we made purchases. But they were well-thought out purchases, not from a list someone else thought was necessary. Not to down-play those lists or the enormous amount of time spent compiling them. I'm a list-make myself! Just keep in mind that you don't need to purchase everything at once.

For example, we purchased a small blue "honey wagon". Turns out the campground (we're seasonal) has several available for campers to use. They also provide "honey wagon" service for a small fee. Worth it to me! Luckily we were able make a return as the store was nearby.

2014 Keystone Passport 3290 BH (6/14 - present)
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 310 BHS (7/12 - 6/14)

TV: none; seasonal w/ on-site winter storage
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote