Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
chuck&gail

DC Circuit Breaker Size Question?

We have a 2010 Outback 230RS. The battery cable connects to TWO little gadgets which appear to be circuit breakers. One connects to the tow vehicle umbilical cord, the other to a wire running to the converter. The breaker in the wire to the converter has died.

Note these breakers are located on the frame, right near the battery. I'm not talking about breakers or fuses inside the converter.

Anybody know what size breaker is used on the frame between the battery and the converter?

Anybody see any reason to not replace it with a circuit breaker from an automobile, assuming I can find the right size?

Silly thing seems to have failed over the winter. It isn't a short somewhere, as the voltage is fine to the converter UNTIL I turn on something. Even a light will cause the breaker to open. Glad it failed here, not on the road.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Bob Landry

Just as a SWAG, I think 30A would be reasonable. That's the size fuse I've seen attached directly to the battery positive post on other trailers. You can try replacing it with a fuse or breaker of equal size. Do not go any larger unless you know for sure what size it actually is.

Although it's possible to have a breaker fail, with the problem description you have given, the converter is suspect. The reason it wouldn't trip the breaker in static condition is because there is no load on the converter. Any load on the converter, rvrn a light, is probably causing a switching component, probably a SCR, in the converter to break down and shorts the voltage to ground, tripping the breaker.

Disconnect the battery, plug in the trailer and see if the converter will power lights or some other DC device. When you are connected to shore power, you don't need the battery for anything with the exception of the slides. My instructions say to have a battery connected for slide-out operation. The converter should be providing 12VDC for the trailer and charging the battery, but the battery us not being used for trailer operation.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
chuck&gail

Probably should have mentioned that everything works just fine with shore power connected, even the slide.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote