Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Ld8793

Faulty awning wiring Passport Ultralite 2400BH

Took our new 2015 Passport Ultralite 2400BH out for the first time after purchasing last week and the power awning would not retract. Finally after 45 minutes pushing the button retracted an inch at at time on and off until fully retracted. Took it to the dealer and told Keystone put in the wrong wire ( too small ). Dealer says have been calling Keystone for 2 days to get permission to proceed with the warranty work with no return call. Evidently this is a big job and will take 8 hrs to fix. Has anyone else out there experienced a similar problem with the awning? I'm hoping Keystone customer service will step up.
Ld8793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
pramey9876

awning issues

2013 Cougar, awning works when it wants. Have to literally beat it and hopefully it'll decide to close. Just waiting for the day it won't. Have discussed with Thor and without taking it in every time they won't do anything about it.

Will never buy a Thor product again.
pramey9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:25 AM   #3
therink

If you have a faulty wire between the awning control switch and the awning motor, I can't imagine it would take 8 hours to pull a new wire through to the awning. Did the dealer run a different temporary wire directly from the switch to the awning motor (out the door) first to confirm that the factory wire is bad?
When my rig was new, I had a faulty relay that caused my awning to work intermittently. The relay is located in the wall cavity behind the switch. I too thought the wiring was bad. I was able to confirm the relay was bad by using a jumper wire and bypassing the relay. It was an easy fix, in which my dealer provided me a new relay.
Fyi - Thor does not make the awnings. Dometic does.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:04 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The wiring harness comes preassembled and is placed in the RV chassis before the floor even goes on. The dealership's claim that the "wrong wires" were run to the awning would seem suspect to me. I'd question that as well as the 8 hours to repair. Install time on an awning is only 2-3 hours depending on model, so 8 hours to do only a portion of the total install does seem excessive. There's something else going on, but I wouldn't think it's the "wrong wire" that's to blame.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #5
Ld8793

Thanks everyone. I will discuss with the dealer. Appreciate the input
Ld8793 is offline   Reply With Quote