Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
JimQ

Mouse in the House(Bullet 248RKS)Leads to interesting find!! Pics

Our new Bullet started to have an unusual smell and as I suspected, a mouse might have found its way in. I had previously removed a blank wood panel that covered the shore power cable storage area and left it open. We usually put soda or water bottles there while camping. Upon closer examination, I noticed mouse droppings and the plastic around the cord opening had been gnawed on. I declared war and purchased some brand new traps. The first night, I placed one on the rear bumper next to the power cord and yes, got him!! I started to check everywhere. I removed the wooden cover under the fridge that contains the furnace. Everything looked clean regarding mouse droppings. HOWEVER, I found the flexible air duct that supplies the rear kitchen area with heat was sliced almost in two. It appears it was done at the factory as the wiring bundle passed right thru the cut area. REALLY KEYSTONE EMPLOYEES??? I made a coupler splice with aluminum flashing and duct tape and repaired the damage. Wow! The heat really blows out the vent now, it was just a slight breeze before. I also removed the screws that hold up the under carriage covering along the rear bumper and cleaned some urine soaked sawdust. The sawdust was there from the assembly process I'm sure. The smell was gone upon the completion. I have set a bunch of traps in and out and haven't got any more critters. Here are pics before and after. I'll keep a vigilant watch from now on for the mice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled #2.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	6848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	6849  
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
Yosemitebob

Mice and/or rats can really do damage to your rig. I put dryer sheets in the area behind the refrigerator and in the sealed up basement area where the converter is and in the basement itself. Along with that, I always am looking for droppings. On my father-in-laws trailer, the rats and/or mice, ate or chewed up all the wires and any rubber they could fine. It took weeks to rebuild everything they did. I don't need that to happen to me to be vigilant.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
sjturbo

Never had a problem, with mice that is, until last summer. Very dry conditions in the western forests led to reduced food supply. Food supply must have been great in my 5R though. Had to resort to "death traps", (usually go for live traps but critters were too small). Unfortunately I did not catch them before they cut the sensor lines to the fresh water tank. I have heard that small bags of mothballs (outside) near possible entry points help. Good Luck. Shoddy construction techniques is another story entirely!
sjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
kellydog98

Best Mouse Trap I've ever used. You don't need several traps and no need to place them in the 'house' and under storage. The mice will come to you!

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote