Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #1
2hoops

Grey Water Shut Off

I have a 2014 270SLR and have a problem with my Grey Water shut off value. Because my local dealer has problems fixing a 5th that I bought at another dealer, I'm into a home fix.
As I understand it the shut off values (grey & black) are activated by way of a stiff wire push/pull cable. The actual movement of the lever gives very little feedback information in terms of value closing or opening. Because the bottom of the RV is covered with a solid cover there is no indication of where the tank and related value blade are actually located.
The indication the the value is not working - - take cap off drain pipe, turn on water (sink/shower) and water comes out the drain immediately, value open or closed.
Attempted fix. Put cap on drain pipe and fill grey tank with water. Then take cap off. Tried to flush anything that might be caught in shutoff blade.

Any suggestions.
2hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Once something gets pushed into the rubber seals in the shutoff valve, it's very difficult (impossible) to flush it out. The only way to clean it so the valve will seat is to physically dig the solid matter (usually toilet paper, feminine products, paper towels, 2 ply toilet paper, handi-wipes or pre-moistened towelettes. Those things just don't do well in holding tanks. You may just have a problem with the cable end being detached/unscrewed from the valve body or from the handle. I would suggest looking closely at the cable before laying under a "partially full black tank"

To locate your valve on the tank (or in the line) remove 3 or 4 of the self tapping screws that hold the coroplast (plastic cardboard) on your underbelly, use a flash light to shine in and see where the offending valve is located. Then, if you can easily reach it, remove enough screws to get access. If the valve is "too far away" to reach, then go under the trailer, make a 3 sided cut in the coroplast leaving the front of the square as a hinge. Be careful not to cut too deep as you can cut things that should be protected. Once you fold down that hinged access, you can work on the valve from under the trailer.

To seal the opening after you're done, some people prefer to use screws and either wood or aluminum backing to both sides of the cut and mechanically close the opening, other's just use Gorilla Tape. Be sure to clean the surface with alcohol before applying the tape.

As for the "stiff cable" that actuates the valve. It's called a "Bowden Cable" and is the same as the cable that actuates the throttle on your lawn mower. If it is hard to actuate, most motorcycle shops sell a cable lubrication kit designed to clean and lubricate that type of cable. It works well on holding tank cables that are hard to pull.

Good Luck,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #3
Javi

Just out of curiosity, have you checked to see if the other grey tank valve is closed...
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
2hoops

Thanks John. Good info. See what I figure out.
Javi - this is a small enough unit that there is only 1 grey tank.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

It's large enough to have 2 gray tanks - one for the shower and bathroom sink and a second one for the kitchen/galley. The size of our units is similar and we have 2 gray tanks as described. I'd go back underneath and look for another gray tank pull valve. Perhaps your new '2014 has only one tank but I would be surprised if it did.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

2hoops,

The Keystone website indicates that your 270SRL has two gray water tanks (60 gal), one black water tank (30gal) and a fresh water tank (43 gal)

Before you start tearing the bottom apart, I'd do as suggested and look very VERY carefully under your rig. Chances are there is another gray valve stuck up near the frame rail on the street side, probably just in front of or just behind the axles.

In RV's the size of ours, Keystone usually (never say never) doesn't install tanks larger than about 34 or 38 gallons. There's just not enough room between the frame rails for tanks larger than that with all the other stuff that has to go in there......

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
2hoops

I check out the suggested location for the second shut off value and - there it is!
Of course now that I look at the outside of the side there is this little sticker that says"Grey Water". Never occurred to me that it was a value.
Thanks to all for your help!
Great forum.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #8
hankaye

2hoops, Howdy;

So, did finding the second valve resolve the "problem"?

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote