Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
depping

Electrical Wiring Diagram needed

I have a 2004 Cougar 301 BHS. Every time I plug in the shore plug the breaker in my house trips. If I leave the Micro, Water Heater, and REC/CON breakers in the main panel off it will not trip. What do these three have in common? Same neutral? If I had a good wiring diagram it would help. Is there one located somewhere in the trailer like behind a panel or door or something?
depping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

What size breaker are you tripping? The only draw from the trailer should be the micro clock (minimal amp.) and the converter. (if the battery is low the charger will be drawing power) There may be other things in your house drawing power from that circuit. As for the wiring diagram, I have not heard of one being available from Keystone. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
depping

Short circuit

It is a 20 amp breaker and have been using it to power the camper for years. Not much else on the circuit but a few rec. in the garage.
The batteries are low on charge. When I put a continuity meter on the shore plug it show shorted between hot and neutral whenever I have the Main circuit breaker on and the REC/CON or Micro breaker on. With just the Main on it ok.
depping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
bennydog

Depping

The wiring diagram that you may be looking for I found in the manual for my converter / power center. I had to dig through the stack of manuals to find it.
What doe the REC/con breaker control? On the A/C side of the panel it looks just like a house set up. Could it be that your panel has gone bad. In our trailer the micro is just plugged into a 110 outlet, so if you were inclined you could take it down and unplug and the AC is hardwired accessible if you take the inside cover off. That way you could eliminate the devices themselves. What's strange to me is that you are tripping the house breaker and I would think if you had a short in a circuit in the trailer it would be tripping the breaker for that device or circuit. I have breakers for main, AC, Water heater, Microwave, and outlets. Sounds like critter damage to me.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
riggsp

Had the same problem with a previous RV...turned out to be the electric element in the water heater...I had plugged it in after winterizing (drained the heater like a good boy), and it burned out the element...when I went camping the first time, it kept kicking out the breaker at the campground...I spent (literally) hours tracing wired, reconnecting wire ends, changing circuit breakers,etc...I had bought the RV used and didn't realize the WH was dual heat...the on/off switch was hidden by the heat tube on the outside panel...if you have a dual heat WH, you may try turning off tha switch to see if that takes care of the problem.
riggsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
wyattphoto

I had a similar issue with my heater element (same cause!), however the burned out element caused a secondary problem - tripping GFCI outlets when plugged into friend's homes as "shore power". I'm betting this is what's happening to you! The issue was a partially-shorted electric water heater element drawing too much leakage current to ground. Replacing the element solved the problem. More details on my web site http://www.wyattphoto.com/Trailer_GF...ping_Wyatt.pdf.
wyattphoto is offline   Reply With Quote