Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
gepaine

Unusual Loss of Battery Electrolyte

I have two 12-volt batteries that I removed from my trailer, topped off the electrolyte, and put on a trickle charger in my garage around mid-October. They are about 2 1/2 years old. I checked the charge level and electrolyte level around Dec 1st. The charge level was 13.25 volts (when disconnected from the charger), and 9 of the 12 cells showed essentially no electrolyte usage. However, 3 cells on one battery (call them #4, #5, and #6 counting from the left) had used about 1/8 inch of electrolyte. (It was still well above the top of the plates.)

I topped off the electrolyte in the 3 low cells and reconnected the charger. Today (about 5 weeks later) I checked the charge level and electrolyte level again. Charge was still 13.25 volts, and once again the same 3 cells were about 1/8 inch low.

Last winter I left the batteries on the charger while we went south for 3 months, and when we got back, all of the cells were down just a little - maybe 1/16 of an inch. This year, I think the 3 cells are losing electrolyte too fast to leave on the charger while we are out-of-town.

Has anyone seen this type of uneven electrolyte usage? Does anyone know what this says about the condition of the battery?

Thanks

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Possibly a cap problem???? If the batteries are identical, move the cap from the "good" battery to the one losing electrolyte and put the "bad" one on the known good battery. See if the problem moves with the cap......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
gepaine

I'll follow your suggestion, but I doubt it is the cap. It seems to be in good shape and should provide a good seal. Plus, from what I've read about loss from evaporation, it doesn't seem I would lose that much in such a short time. I'll post the results of this test when I return from our snowbirding trip.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote