Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
turbopilot51

Dometic refrigerator issue

The Dometic side by side refrigerator in our Alpine seems to have an unusual issue. We have noticed the doors would unlock during our travels even though the doors are tripled checked before departure. We have even found food tossed on the floor and a small dent in the stainless door from the counter top. Any one else have this problem?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
chivas

I have seen alot of people have that problem including me. I put a piece of cardboard under the lock after I lock it. REALLY HIGH TECH.

Ours did it on the first trip. Left dents in BOTH doors.
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
I have seen alot of people have that problem including me. I put a piece of cardboard under the lock after I lock it. REALLY HIGH TECH.

Ours did it on the first trip. Left dents in BOTH doors.
Can you be a little more specific on how you installed the cardboard? Are you referring to the stainless side by side?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
chivas

Yes, they are the stainless steel double door. I close the doors, lock the lock, and I slide a small piece of cardboard under the lock in between the lock and refrigerator. The cardboard is only 1"x1". It make it so the sliding lock cannot slide to the left.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
The Dometic side by side refrigerator in our Alpine seems to have an unusual issue. We have noticed the doors would unlock during our travels even though the doors are tripled checked before departure. We have even found food tossed on the floor and a small dent in the stainless door from the counter top. Any one else have this problem?
I contacted Dometic about this issue and was told to "check" the D+ wire on the outside terminal strip. This is used with an alternator to lock or unlock the fridge with a motor home. Last time I checked I was pulling a fiver. What i noticed is when closing my slides when not plugged in to shore power, the fridge will unlock itself. Me thinks maybe because of the voltage drop. This could also be a defective lock system. When plugged into shore power the fridge remains locked. When I get home from our journey I will contact our dealer and make a warranty claim to fix this and replace the fridge door that has a dent in it. More to come of this I'm sure!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
chivas

Quote:
I contacted Dometic about this issue and was told to "check" the D+ wire on the outside terminal strip. This is used with an alternator to lock or unlock the fridge with a motor home. Last time I checked I was pulling a fiver. What i noticed is when closing my slides when not plugged in to shore power, the fridge will unlock itself. Me thinks maybe because of the voltage drop. This could also be a defective lock system. When plugged into shore power the fridge remains locked. When I get home from our journey I will contact our dealer and make a warranty claim to fix this and replace the fridge door that has a dent in it. More to come of this I'm sure!
Let me know if they replace it. I cannot believe they will. They will probably say, "How do we know you locked it before pulling." I am still in the warranty period for my 2012 Alpine.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

WOW YOUR GONNA NEED ONE HECK OF AN EXTENSSION CORD TO GET IT HOME AND KEEP THE DOOR LOCKED. sure hope they get it squared away for you.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
Let me know if they replace it. I cannot believe they will. They will probably say, "How do we know you locked it before pulling." I am still in the warranty period for my 2012 Alpine.
I can show "them" that the the door will unlock when the slide moves in unplugged from shore power. There is nothing mentioned in any manual from Dometic or Keystone that shore power must be connected prior to moving slides in.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
turbopilot51

Quote:
I can show "them" that the the door will unlock when the slide moves in unplugged from shore power. There is nothing mentioned in any manual from Dometic or Keystone that shore power must be connected prior to moving slides in.
Just an update: The dealer removed the D+ wire to prevent the refrigerator door from unlocking. The dealer also says the hydraulic pump motor is pulling way to many amps causing the dc breaker to open. A new pump motor is on order along with a new front decal that is peeling. Maybe Keystone should buy back this unit and build me a new one.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Just an update: The dealer removed the D+ wire to prevent the refrigerator door from unlocking. The dealer also says the hydraulic pump motor is pulling way to many amps causing the dc breaker to open. A new pump motor is on order along with a new front decal that is peeling. Maybe Keystone should buy back this unit and build me a new one.
WOW !!! You want Keystone to build you a new RV and buy back the current one? How bad is it that it's not worth keeping?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
WOW !!! You want Keystone to build you a new RV and buy back the current one? How bad is it that it's not worth keeping?
Relax, just venting some frustration. I know there will be issues to work out that takes time to resolve. It seems like the rig has spent more time at the dealer than on the road being used. We love the floor plan and would not go back to our old tt. The bit of good news in all this is Keystone will replace the refrigerator door that has the dent. I would recommend other owners out there with the Dometic side by side to check on the D+ wire issue before you find a big dent in your door from the refer door lock unlocking itself.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Westie0506

Quote:
Relax, just venting some frustration. I know there will be issues to work out that takes time to resolve. It seems like the rig has spent more time at the dealer than on the road being used. We love the floor plan and would not go back to our old tt. The bit of good news in all this is Keystone will replace the refrigerator door that has the dent. I would recommend other owners out there with the Dometic side by side to check on the D+ wire issue before you find a big dent in your door from the refer door lock unlocking itself.
Which hydraulic pump did they replace? (slides?) We are out of warranty and wondered who they talked to at Keystone to get the work done. This will be our 4th set of doors since the service dept. never tried to find out why ours keep opening after we started traveling - but the dents are too high for it to be anything else. We now put a clamp on the doors and/or I come back inside after we hook up and relock the doors.....but the dents are still there. We replaced the sofa after it totally fell apart (shredded at the seams) and intend to replace the carpet while in the valley. This has been a nightmare for us and would like to trade it in as soon as we possibly can. Thanks for your help.
Westie0506 is offline   Reply With Quote