Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
Steve S

Maintenance parts costs

I was going through some repair receipts and something that I noticed was that the parts for the F 350 are pretty expensive. A fuel filter was $60.00, oil filter at $45.00 etc. I'm not complaining or being cheap but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I'm adding up engine parts.
What's the most expensive part that you've had to replace in your truck?
Old 07-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
Desert185

My Cummins Stratapore oil filter is $12-13 and the fuel filter is $15 (Napa Gold). Oil is $28-30 for three gallons of DELO on sale at Costco. The Cummins holds 10 1/2 qts.

The most expensive repair was a head gasket on a Cummins along with ARP head studs ($400 just for the studs).The rig had over 300,000 miles on it at the time. I bought it used, so I didn't have to pay for the pricey warranty costs up front. Less than 1/3 the cost of a new truck, and no payments.

Not one emissions item, not even a cat, (stock) to cause problems, BTW. I understand the new truck thing, but this works for me. The Cummins is a 1950's Chevy Six version of a diesel. Reliable, easy to work on and comparatively simple WRT the competition...at least the 12 and 24 valve engines are.

Edit:A friend has a 2002 F350 with a six-speed stick that he babies and will never sell. The new stuff scares him, too. He's a Wyoming-born, semi-cowboy with a gooseneck and a fifth wheel. He's younger than me (like a second son), so I don't know if he will be able to pull that last truck thing off with the Powerstroke.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I was going through some repair receipts and something that I noticed was that the parts for the F 350 are pretty expensive. A fuel filter was $60.00, oil filter at $45.00 etc. I'm not complaining or being cheap but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I'm adding up engine parts.
What's the most expensive part that you've had to replace in your truck?
I always order my fuel filters and oil filters online, wherever I can find them at the lowest price....including shipping cost. I always use the Motorcraft filters for the 6.7. I see that you are in Canada, so your cost per item is somewhat higher than U.S. $$$
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I always order my fuel filters and oil filters online, wherever I can find them at the lowest price....including shipping cost. I always use the Motorcraft filters for the 6.7. I see that you are in Canada, so your cost per item is somewhat higher than U.S. $$$
I was looking on Amazon and the prices are way cheaper. The costs that I posted were what the dealer charged me so they really jack up the costs. I wonder what they would say if the next time I have to get the filters changed if I brought my own in? I can't see this being a problem but I'm sure that they would make it a problem.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

You don't list what year truck. But, see mine below. Ford fuel filter is 35, I change them out, 10 mins. Shop charges 1/2 hour labor. Changing oil can be a mess. I pay a shop 90 bucks once a year.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
notanlines

We have had our F-350 for 2 1/2 years, 97,000 miles. We have had a Ford dealer change the oil/filter every 5K, fuel filters every 15K, air filters at 35K tires rotated every 10K. The total (Yes, I do have that in front of me) is at $2,633. It is simply the cost of owning something nice and keeping it nice. I do see why many of you do some of the maintenance on your beasts. We pretty much live on the road so I don't really have proper facilities to do much of it and I don't have the urging required to do the work myself. I might add I don't do the lawn work either. My hands don't fit a lawn mower. If the lawn mower handle were to injure my hand I might not be able to hold a fishing rod or a bike throttle.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We have had our F-350 for 2 1/2 years, 97,000 miles. We have had a Ford dealer change the oil/filter every 5K, fuel filters every 15K, air filters at 35K tires rotated every 10K. The total (Yes, I do have that in front of me) is at $2,633. It is simply the cost of owning something nice and keeping it nice. I do see why many of you do some of the maintenance on your beasts. We pretty much live on the road so I don't really have proper facilities to do much of it and I don't have the urging required to do the work myself. I might add I don't do the lawn work either. My hands don't fit a lawn mower. If the lawn mower handle were to injure my hand I might not be able to hold a fishing rod or a bike throttle.....
X 2 on everything that you said right down to the lawns. I absolutely can't stand the smell of oil and getting greasy isn't my thing. I'd rather pay the dealership as that's what they do everyday for a living where as I don't. Also they vacuum and wash my truck which is another 2 things that I don't actually enjoy doing. I had kids for a reason and they come in handy for things like that and one of them enjoys to mow the lawns.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken / claudia View Post
you don't list what year truck. But, see mine below. Ford fuel filter is 35, i change them out, 10 mins. Shop charges 1/2 hour labor. Changing oil can be a mess. I pay a shop 90 bucks once a year.
017 f 350
Old 07-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

While heading south last winter the fuel lift pump on my Cummins went south also. Limped to a dealer in S.C. and asked if they could squeeze me in. They verified my diagnosis and said they would be glad to do it but parts would take a few days. I asked if they would use my parts .... they said , sure. When I opened my tool bin the shop foreman said "Is that a fuel filter in there? We don't have one of them in stock either" I said yes, did they want to borrow any tools also? We laughed and I was on the road again in three hours after having lunch with the mechanic. Charged me two hours diesel flat rate.

I Get most of my parts from Gino's Garage online and do my own maintenance and try to keep parts that go frequently on hand. That reminds me to put another lift pump back into inventory. Might be time to add a water pump too. They are inexpensive and only three bolts hold it in. I already carry a spare belt

Folks laugh but when I hear someone knocking on my door, it's usually to ask "Hank would you happen to have one of these?" I usually do!!

As mentioned by notanlines, it is hard to find an area to do the work yourself when on the road .... most CGs frown on it.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance