Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Canonman

TPO roof pulled away from the front cap

Just returned from a 2k mi round trip to the Oregon coast and back. I washed the roof and treated it with 303 before we left. No deterioration or noticeable problems with the roof or any lap seals. Happily, No problems during the trip. Got up on the roof prior to leaving the coast to inspect and sweep the slide outs and no issues. After backing into our driveway, I noticed the roof looked rippled.
On inspection I found where the TPO membrane had pulled back from the lap seal just behind the front cap. I'm sure with 65mph road speeds air was forced between the membrane and the roof deck. Ripples go back to the first vent over the bedroom.
Warranty was up in May this year. However we do have the extended/insurance warranty.

Question is does anyone have any experience with what to expect from the dealer's service dept (CW) in the way of repairs?? I'm a little leary of what "short cut" repair CW might try to foist on us.
What is the best or right way to fix a problem like this?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2633.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	13287   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2690.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	13288   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2733.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	13289  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
nellie1289

Hi there. I had this exact same issue. If you search the 336 bhs thread in the fifth wheel forum that has hundreds of posts you will see my repair and pics. It's held for a year but I haven't used it much. Keystone covered it for me at 14 months even though I was past warrant. They added a second band at front cap now
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd urge you to contact your dealer first thing in the morning and get this documented. As nellie1289 indicated, Keystone repaired his at 14 months, 2 months out of warranty. He's not alone. There are several other members who have had repairs made out of warranty when there is an obvious problem.

As for CW's "roof work", when a tree fell on our Springdale, CW did an excellent job of repairing the damage. They went to bat for us on several "shortcuts" that the insurance company suggested. Thanks to CW, it was all done "the right way" and with new materials, no shortcuts and careful attention to craftsmanship. Of course every CW facility has its own "personality" so I can't say what kind of experience you'll have, but we have been very satisfied with CW's service center at our nearest store.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Just returned from a 2k mi round trip to the Oregon coast and back. I washed the roof and treated it with 303 before we left. No deterioration or noticeable problems with the roof or any lap seals. Happily, No problems during the trip. Got up on the roof prior to leaving the coast to inspect and sweep the slide outs and no issues. After backing into our driveway, I noticed the roof looked rippled.
On inspection I found where the TPO membrane had pulled back from the lap seal just behind the front cap. I'm sure with 65mph road speeds air was forced between the membrane and the roof deck. Ripples go back to the first vent over the bedroom.
Warranty was up in May this year. However we do have the extended/insurance warranty.

Question is does anyone have any experience with what to expect from the dealer's service dept (CW) in the way of repairs?? I'm a little leary of what "short cut" repair CW might try to foist on us.
What is the best or right way to fix a problem like this?
Thanks
Some photos of the roof.
We arrived home to an evening thunder shower so the black duct tape is covering the cracks in the lap seal is where the TPO separated from the front cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20170709_162812.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	13297   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20170709_162755_004.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	13298  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, roof